Potential Owner Concerns! Please shed some light! Speedster 1999?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertom

Hi Everyone,

I live in Colombia (South America) and was recently offered this Jet Boat. I am looking for a trailerable boat to be used in lakes and rivers at high altitude (2,600 meters or 8,500 feet above sea level) They are very hard to come by as they were not readily available so that is where my questions and concerns come in:

1. What boat is it? My deductive logic tells me its a 1999 Speedster with 720s, am I right?
2. Both engines (The owners states them as 720s) need to be rebuilt and possibly have over heating. Are parts readily available? How complicated is the rebuild process with the right parts? Are they expensive to rebuild?
3. How reliable are these boats once they are in tip top shape?
4. Is this a good platform to tow wake boarders, skiers and the like for a fun day at the lake? Or is it underpowered or small for this type of use?

Please keep in mind all parts are like going to have to be imported from the USA so there is an additional cost for this type of fix.

Thanks for any and all feedback you want to give a potential future owner!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 29
It's a 96 or 97 Speedster and it looks to be in good shape for what it is. Yes 720's are simple and reliable once they have been gone through. Wear rings will be needed in the pumps and the carbs need to be rebuilt with OEM kits.

I would get those things from a place like Westside Powersports because they know all the little details of these things and won't sell you stuff you don't need or that won't fit.

Thanks for the reply, it does look like a 96 o 97 speedster. What expensive repairs does this toy regularly have, what should I look out for?

Any idea if I can fit a monster tower on this without much modifications?

I love the idea of a jet boat but Im sure there are lots of considerations I would need to keep in mind. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

I'd probably pass unless the cylinder compression is at least 140psi in all four. Even then, it's not a good idea to buy a non-running boat you can't water test.

If you don't have experience with seadoo's, or at least 2-stroke jet skis, the learning curve might be steep.

Twin 720'a push that little boat well and will pull a skier well if they're running right but the small boat will be cramped for more than 2~3 people.

This is not a replacement for a real Mastercraft wakeboard boat, it's a serious compromise. It helps if the lake is smaller and especially, smooth. You might appreciate a larger, heavier boat on a large or rough lake.

It's a 96, the 97 has a rear facing seat and black bumpers.

I'd probably pass unless the cylinder compression is at least 140psi in all four. Even then, it's not a good idea to buy a non-running boat you can't water test...
I dissagree. Both engines are shot so compression means nothing. It's a very cheap way to own one. I buy Sea-Doo boats and PWC's with blown engines all the time to rebuild and sell or keep.

Chester

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back