Port Side Engine Missing Bogging Down?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZBoulder

Took the boat out on the lake yesterday and noticed once we got going that the port side engine would intermittently drop rpms on the port side engine and then recover. In some cases it would drop ~1000 rpm and then recover. Seemed like it was bogging down. We got going and it seems to stabilize but once back out of the no wake zone did it again. Just looking for anyone else's experience with this and what the solution was.

My first thoughts would be new spark plugs... 4tecs love plugs. I have had a similar problem on a PWC and plugs took care of it. They are inexpensive and its worth a shot!

Thanks for the response. I don't know the service history on the boat and only thing I have done so far was the oil change. I can take the plugs out and at least take a look at them. Probably a good idea to replace them anyway so I know it was done. Does it makes sense to do the coils and plugs at the same time or just replace the coils as needed?

If you don't know the service history replace the plugs no questions they are cheap and should be done with every oil change-- I have never needed to replace my coils in any of my Sea Doos over they years but I guess you never know. What kind of boat are you working on?

its a 2011 210 SP. Plugs should be NGK DCP-R8E stock number 4339 correct?

Yep, thats them.

We have a 2010 210, couldn't be happier! We bought it used about 2 years ago with 28 hours, it had been sitting for a couple years unused covered but outside. We bought it right knowing it might need some work after the long rest.... we had a few minor bugs mainly from sitting we had an entire season last summer with out a single problem. When we got the boat both engines were insanely over filled with fresh oil from, clearly someone didn't know what they were doing. Then we had some frustrating days/weeks early on and I discovered the supposedly new battery (I should have checked with my own eyes rather than trust the hand shake) was original and very weak giving us random codes and unexplainable issues that simply didn't make sense. New battery fixed all the electrical issues. Then a new oil pressure sending unit and all codes were taken care then on to the faulty key switch. After those all are what I think minor issues the boat was mechanically sound and insanely fun!

Hope your fix is simple!

Just from how you described the issue, I would imagine intermittent issues not necessarily be spark plugs. Could be and, for the price, worth replacing them. I replace mine every year. But one spark plug would have to be struggling to create that spark and doing so every other stroke to get that type of RPM drop and then come back up.

That said, are your engines supercharged by chance? I know if those washers get worn out in those clutch assembly, they can cause the SC to slip that result in RPMs dropping like that then coming back up, as if it is bogged down, intermittently.

you never mentioned what boat/engine you have, could be an intermittent spark issue with a coil, you could take all of these coils from one engine and swap them to the other one and see if your problem switches engines, doubt it if it is a spark plug issue, spark plugs typically work or don't work, could be a supercharger issue but I doubt it because a supercharger would start slipping under load initially not intermittently start slipping once in a while once underway, regardless...if you do have a supercharged unit and you don't know the service history the first thing you should have done is verify the slip clutch operation regardless if you have an issue or not, the early superchargers were prone to failure (pre 2009), the newer supercharger clutches are much more durable.
I would suspect you have a fuel pressure issue but you need to start doing some diagnostics.
Sorry, just read now that you have a 2011 210 SP so it’s not supercharged it’s the natural aspirated engines, the slip clutches or supercharges don’t matter to you.

Last edited:
Well i did change the plugs did not look awful some discoloration but probably normal. Taking the boat out tomorrow and will see if the problem persists or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back