Porpoising C180 - Trim tabs or pump wedge?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightningtruck

Got a question concerning my 2005 C180, SCIC. Thing likes to porpoise in virtually any condition, and I have been reading that this is common with this machine. I see that trim tabs are an option, from the pricey manual adjustable ones from BRP, or nice electro/hydraulic deals from Bennett (and others). I also heard something about a wedge that goes between the venturi nozzle and the jet pump, but most of what I can find (Riva) angles the nozzle 2-degrees and such that it will get the nose of the boat out of the water instead of planting the nose like I want. (I'm so good with nautical terms, LOL...)

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone put trim tabs on their 2005-up C180, and if so, what did you use? How was the fit, and how was the performance?

2) Is there a pump wedge available that I haven't found yet that will angle the nozzle down, so as to get the boat's nose down in the water more? I know this might cost a little top speed, but it's hopping around like a one-leg chicken as it is and I need to get it under control.

And yes, I know it's a jet boat and jet boats jump. But this thing is just excessive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi kevin, My Boat has the same problem.... I Know that if the wear ring is at all damaged it makes the boats natural porpoising jet boat nature to amplefy like crazy. I'm also looking into trim tabs... def adjustable ones. I Dont like the jet angling idea.... I figure the adjustable trim tabs will be the hot set up for using them when u need them and then setting them less agressive to maintain a decent top speed.

Yep, I hear ya on the adjustable trim tabs. Just need to figure out which ones would actually fit. For the kind of money that they run, I don't want to buy them more than once.

Fortunately, the wear ring on my boat was done recently (within the past few hours), and it hasn't sucked up any ropes or anything since then.

Will post up whatever I figure out. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Anyone else?

I'm actually leaning towards calling some place like Riva and see if they have a reverse 2-degree wedge, or have their guy that is CNC-ing them to make me one.

Otherwise, what trim tabs actually fit this boat besides the $500+ manual adjust BRP parts?

Thanks,
Kevin

My first time out with my '08 180SE we had bad porpoising, as the water was really choppy. I started looking into trim tabs and found the SX Trim Tabs (SX 9510-80) for about $115-$120 http://trimtabgirl.com/ or http://www.boatownersworld.com/smartabs/sx.htm. People who bought them seemed to be pretty happy with them. I haven't gotten them yet because I've since been on other waters and haven't had the issue again, or at least not enough for it to be a problem.

Thanks.

Long story, but I am going to wait until winter time and pull off the ride plate/shoe and shim it down in the rear about 1/8", then reseal. I have been told that that will add a small amount of trim to the boat and will take care of the porpoising. If that doesn't do enough, then I'll look into the pump wedge or big trim tabs. Will post back how it works.....next spring! :)

Kevin

I have the same boat with the exact same problem. Just wondering if you were able to solve the problem?

Riva has nothing for the boats I already called. They don't recommend trying to trim the boat with the nozzle. I added the nauticus smart tabs and turned my crappy boat into a good one.

Hi Guys,

Well, I never ended up busting the ride plate loose and shimming it down. Just been putting up with the porpoising this summer. However, I just ordered the gold-plated ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) BRP manual tabs and am waiting on them to arrive. I'll post back when I get them and get them installed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Well, this story is not over yet.

I tried ordering those tabs from BRP last summer, but there were none to be found anywhere in the system. Had a buddy of mine on the inside (of BRP) scrounging also, but no luck. Anyone know of a set of these parts, anywhere that can be bought?

If not, I'm going to draw them up the best I can like the BRP factory ones and get them quoted at a local machine shop. Anyone interested in a set if I can make that happen? I would much rather just get the ones from BRP, though.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Guys,

Well, I never ended up busting the ride plate loose and shimming it down. Just been putting up with the porpoising this summer. However, I just ordered the gold-plated ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) BRP manual tabs and am waiting on them to arrive. I'll post back when I get them and get them installed.

Thanks,
Kevin

You can not beat what trim tab do for a boat. You can normally gain speed, enhance the ride and performance. Generally worth every penny spent.

Guys,
I'm working on this right now. I have them drawn up in CAD right now, dimensioned to the best estimates I can determine. Heading to the machine shops next week for quotes. I'm not optimistic that they will be real cheap, as each mount will be cut out of a big chunk of billet aluminum, then probably hard anodized for corrosion protection. The tabs themselves I am thinking 304 stainless steel, laser cut. Stainless hardware, of course. We'll see. My goal is to make these like the original BRP design.

I'll post back what I find.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I would be very interested in having a set made up as well. I have been struggling with this problem for a few years. Please keep me posted!

Guys,
I'm working on this right now. I have them drawn up in CAD right now, dimensioned to the best estimates I can determine. Heading to the machine shops next week for quotes. I'm not optimistic that they will be real cheap, as each mount will be cut out of a big chunk of billet aluminum, then probably hard anodized for corrosion protection. The tabs themselves I am thinking 304 stainless steel, laser cut. Stainless hardware, of course. We'll see. My goal is to make these like the original BRP design.

I'll post back what I find.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I would be very interested in having a set made up as well. I have been struggling with this problem for a few years. Please keep me posted!

Will do. Things have gotten crazy around here the past few weeks, so I have no new progress. But I will post back. I definitely want these done this season...

Thanks,
Kevin

I am also interested if they are not gold plated.. I am new to the forum.. Actually just joined to get in on this...

Will do. Things have gotten crazy around here the past few weeks, so I have no new progress. But I will post back. I definitely want these done this season...

Thanks,
Kevin

I'd like to hear a price as well. I don't mind a little bouncing but the wife would prefer a smoother ride.

I have seen very few pictures of people that have actually installed a tab of any kind on a Challenger. Are they really that rare? It seems like the cheap ones go for as little as $150. Would've though they would be more popular.

DSC03688.JPGDSC03687.JPGDSC03692.JPGQuick update.

I got to scrutinizing what I did in CAD, and I think my dimensions were all off. What I had designed was way too big. This was going to drive the cost way up. So I reworked everything, and in the process, got everything exactly where we need to be to have the same tab setup as BRP used to sell. I also found out that the BRP setup has been out of stock since 2009 (!!!), with no intention of restock. So we're definitely on our own. This is coming from a reliable source.

OK, so tomorrow the prints go out to a couple of local machine shops for quote. Just for reference, we are starting with a 6 x 6 x 1.5in slab of billet aluminum for each tab mount, and 12-gauge 304 stainless sheet for the tabs themselves. Then CNC time on the aluminum, and laser time on the stainless. I could stand by the mill for a couple of hours and at the bandsaw cutting the stainless, but that isn't what we are going for here. Gonna do this right. Just wanted to say that up front and brace ourselves for the cost. I'm not going to be looking to retire off of these things, but I am looking to get a couple sets made up to bring the cost down a bit for all of us together. And for reference, the kit from BRP used to be $476, I believe. I want to come in a LOT better than that!!! Stay tuned.

Check out the attachments. I got these pics from another forum (from 2006), and these are the BRP parts. What I am putting together will be identical. Note: There is a picture of the pump inlet plate in there also, that's the next project. Supposed to help with cavitation on the 2005 boats.

Thanks!

I'd like to hear a price as well. I don't mind a little bouncing but the wife would prefer a smoother ride.

I have seen very few pictures of people that have actually installed a tab of any kind on a Challenger. Are they really that rare? It seems like the cheap ones go for as little as $150. Would've though they would be more popular.

Yes, they are pretty rare. I will have to dig, somewhere I have two more pics of tabs on the back of a 2005-up 180 Challenger. The way the transom is shaped makes it difficult to use inexpensive aftermarket stuff. I have seen one or two aftermarket deals rigged up, but those guys lost reverse in the process. Losing reverse is not an option for me. The BRP parts do not cause you to lose reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back