Poor performance - mystery problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

taewa

2008 RXT-X supercharged. Had the SC rebuilt and replaced just barely, and the seadoo isn't running well. It will start/idle just fine, but when you drive it, it acts like the learner's key is in or something...feels like there is less power and not supercharged. Then when we drive it harder and push it for about 20-30 secs, the seadoo will start to just choke up and the RPM's will start dropping like it is dying. The engine doesn't die, but it loses all power. Once I saw an "exhaust error" on the code screen when this happened. If we let it sit and idle for another 10-20 secs, it will start to rev and get power back, then you can ride it again...almost like it is clearing something out. If we just ride at about 50-60% capacity (ie. don't push it too hard and just putt around), then it will keep running for quite a while w/o the choking problem. Took it to a dealer, who has had it for 3 weeks and has not found the problem!!! The only thing they noticed is that when they put it in test tank that it performs better when the front plastic storage bin is removed. I'm having them change oil and plugs. Any other ideas or experience with this issue? My summer days are disappearing while these guys scratch their heads. I'm in Boise, ID if any of you know a better place to take these SeaDoos.

No. I bought it used though, and only had it out 1-2 times before doing this, as it was overdue, and I didn't want to risk the ceramic washers blowing on me. It was regularly maintained before I bought it.

Check ALL hose clamps, as mentioned. You're having the plugs changed, which is good. I'd also have the intake air box filter changed and ensure the seal is good. Inspect the old air filter for water marks. Did I mention making sure ALL clamps are tight? Usually the biggest issue right there.

Glad you're getting some input. As mentioned, hose clamps and plugs, but as we discussed over email:

The only thing they noticed is that when they put it in test tank that it performs better when the front plastic storage bin is removed. .

This made me think electrical.

well it is nice to have another member in the Boise area, i live in Meridian and usually ride at lucky peak or cascade lake in Donnelly. not too sure of the local dealers here on their knowledge, but I do know they don't know much about the older 2 stroke rfi's hope you get it sorted out soon!

Boost high pressure leaking from the hoses would be the first suspect... Clamps or mismount of hose.
Sure that has been checked, yes?

So, FOD... Rag or something left in the output hose during reassembly.. Maybe?

If it didn't happen before the SC rebuild, then you really need to look there.

Who rebuilt it?
Check for cracked hoses or loose clamps.
Is there any water in the motor oil?

Based on that, I doubt the direct issue is with the SC itself. But, it is still worth taking the hose off and seeing if you can spin the wheel using your fingers. It may spin but it should take great force using your fingers.

Check hoses and clamps.
Is there water in the engine oil by chance?

Thanks fellas. I'm getting it back from the dealer this week. I will check these things and get back to you. The problem is that it takes 3-4 weeks to get it into any dealership. There goes one of your 4 months of summer ;(

I had a similar problem, showed no fault when the dealer plugged computer in & they couldn't find anything wrong when they water tanked it, turned out it was a faulty oil pressure switch, so the sender's might be worth looking at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back