PO127 - Flush or sensor replace?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CasperTFG

2014 Wake Pro 215, bought used this year with 93 hours on it. Have had no issues for the past few weekends put about 14 hours on it but yesterday I was running at high speeds for a longer period of time and got a check engine light with code PO127. I pulled back to the dock stopped opened it up everything looked fine no coolant smoke or unusually high heat under the seat. Once restarted it cleared the error but after driving again at high speeds it re-occurred.

I found a Spark version of the diagnostics manual (assuming the codes are the same) that states -
Code:
PCODE: P0127
MODULE: ECM
DESCRIPTION: Intercooler system fault High air intake temperature detected.
CAUSE :Fault detected when the engine is running and stopped.
ACTION: Blocked intercooler water circuit. Clean intercooler water circuit system. Refer to the service manual for more details.

A bunch of the guys at our marina were helping me out, many of them have been owners for a long time. They concluded that I needed to change out the Exhaust Temperature Sensor. The part is only $28 so I ordered it but now in reading more into the diagnostics I am thinking I may only need to flush the exhaust?

Should I bother switching out the sensor or just try the flush or do both? The new sensor is an after market and I see from many posts there was an issue with BRP sensors so it may be worthwhile to switch it out but I also don't want to muck about where mucking is not needed.

Can you explain why the "guys" were telling you to change the exhaust gas temp sensor for an intercooler problem? Granted, higher intake temps will result in higher exhaust gas temperatures, but in your case, you are telling us the fault (P0127) is pointing to a blocked intercooler. Your own post tells you what to do ... clean the intercooler.

Just because the "guys" have been owners for a long time doens't mean they have a clue about how your engine works. How did they come to the conclusion your exhaust gas temperature sensor was faulty?

Do understand the function of the intercooler? It's not in the exhaust; it's in the intake manifold.

1534559184868.png

As for the sensors, I'll bet there are specified resistance values in the shop manual that you can reference and test the sensors you have before you determine they are defective.

I checked the code and yes for a 2014 215hp the description is the same, your intercooler is not removing enough heat from the super charged air. Flush it and the lines feeding it to make sure you didn't fill the water passages with seaweed or something. Also clean the out air passage surfaces then throw it back in. If you believe it's a sensor fault then replace it to, but it will be the intake air temp sensor, not the exhaust heat sensor, no relation what so ever!

Can you explain why the "guys" were telling you to change the exhaust gas temp sensor for an intercooler problem?

I think the guys were pointing to that issue because they had just done a replacement on another guys with a similar issue but I don't know his code. Also the first few things that came up in google searches for PO127 were about changing out a faulty exhaust sensor.

Thank you for the diagram it helps me to understand the issue a lot more.

Flush it and the lines feeding it to make sure you didn't fill the water passages with seaweed or something.

Thanks for the responses @Greg Moore and @mkov608 . I had switched out the sensor before I saw your posts and I also did a Flush exactly like the procedure in this video

Just like the previous occurrences, there was no error on first starting it up, it took about 2 hours of heavy riding where I assume enough heat built up before the error popped up again. If I turn the machine off and back on the error goes away until I rev it up high for a few minutes again. All in all I am thinking that the sensors are working as they should, detecting high temperature. So now I have to figure out why it's getting to that point and not cooling properly.

Did I do the Flush that you were referring to correctly or is this going to be more involved like removing hoses? Should I be bringing it into a dealer which I really don't want to do as the earliest I can get an appointment is 6 weeks and summer is almost over.

I also noticed that when warmed up the coolant level in the overflow was sitting on the cold line so I am thinking I should top that up. BRP seems to be guiding me to their coolant but is there a more easily available coolant I could use from an Auto shop.

The flush you referenced is the standard flushing procedure for the exhaust system (post ride).

The water flow for the supercharger intercooler is from the jet pump to the intercooler and then into the exhaust. These intercoolers are water to air type. Water from the lake flowing through the intercooler to remove the heat from the compressed air that the supercharger is forcing into the intake. The charged air flows through the intercooler and the water removes the heat to the exhaust system.

Both passages (the internal water flow) and the (external air flow) have to be clean. In your case, you need to pull the intercooler, inspect, and clean it. The procedure will be in your shop manual.

The flush you referenced is the standard flushing procedure for the exhaust system (post ride).

The water flow for the supercharger intercooler is from the jet pump to the intercooler and then into the exhaust. These intercoolers are water to air type. Water from the lake flowing through the intercooler to remove the heat from the compressed air that the supercharger is forcing into the intake. The charged air flows through the intercooler and the water removes the heat to the exhaust system.

Both passages (the internal water flow) and the (external air flow) have to be clean. In your case, you need to pull the intercooler, inspect, and clean it. The procedure will be in your shop manual.

On the 260 intercooler when you flush the exhaust system you are also flushing the intercooler per the shop manual. I would hope on the 215 when we flush the exhaust we are also flushing our intercoolers but there is no mention of that in the shop manual except in the storage section when we drain the exhaust manifold and intercooler we are doing both at the same time with pressurized air thru the flushing connector. You can also clean the 260 intercooler but no mention of cleaning the 215 intercooler. We can do a leak test on our 215 intercoolers with a pressure pump and if it’s leaking we replace it with a new one. The leak test on the 215 is performed, when the engine loses performance, when there is white exhaust smoke or when temperature in exhaust system is to high. That’s what it says exhaust not intake.
Not sure why no cleaning procedure for the 215 intercoolers but if my 215 had a P0127 code I would certainly pull, clean and inspect my hoses and intercooler and pressure test it for leaks.

Not sure why no cleaning procedure for the 215 intercoolers but if my 215 had a P0127 code I would certainly pull, clean and inspect my hoses and intercooler and pressure test it for leaks.

Alright well seeing as I can't pressure test I will have to bring it in to a shop.

So if the intercooler is leaking (per the pressure test) your going to get white smoke and a loss of performance which I don’t think you have, so it probably isn’t leaking. Take a hose off and make sure it’s not clogged.

Screenshot 2018-08-21 14.16.33.png
Going price for an intercooler is $319 without shopping for a bargain. Make sure dealer doesn't charge more than that to diagnose and fix. Seems like a simple procedure for a DIY in the driveway.

Wanted to follow up. Brought it to a dealer for winterizing and servicing. He replaced the exhaust sensor and we also did a Supercharger rebuild as it was at 120 hours. No issues this year it is running great no errors or issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back