Plastic Exhaust Resonator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker29

Just curious what everyone's experience has been with the plastic resonators. I know there are stories and the lawsuit, etc.... but I'm curious how many people out there who have not had an issue? The previous owner of our boat had put in a stainless steel pipe in its place, but the drone was so annoying that I put the OEM plastic one back in. Ran it a couple of times and have had no issues.

No issues with our 2012 210SE. Purchased 4 years ago with 112 hours on it, we now have 234. Aside from a hose popping loose, the resonators have been fine.

No issues with our 2012 210SE. Purchased 4 years ago with 112 hours on it, we now have 234. Aside from a hose popping loose, the resonators have been fine.
Good to hear... I hand-checked the temp of the hose and the resonator while running. They felt warm, but not hot. I am guessing they are built to with-stand certain temps as long as there is water pumping.

I have had two melt. First one when I bought the ski and cleaned out the exhaust cooling system inside the ski
My niece took it out again and she said she got the alarm going of with a check Eng message
Found the resonator had started to melt again

This time I pulled the jet pump , exhaust muffler and pipe
Found small amounts of what looked clay mud in jet pump cooling line filter area
I have also enlarged the three outlet holes in exhaust pipe too to allow more cooling water to flow through resonator
It’s a piss poor design by Seadoo using plastic in an exhaust system

If the resonator melts and develops a hole the ski is more than likely going to sink

I have had two melt. First one when I bought the ski and cleaned out the exhaust cooling system inside the ski
My niece took it out again and she said she got the alarm going of with a check Eng message
Found the resonator had started to melt again

This time I pulled the jet pump , exhaust muffler and pipe
Found small amounts of what looked clay mud in jet pump cooling line filter area
I have also enlarged the three outlet holes in exhaust pipe too to allow more cooling water to flow through resonator
It’s a piss poor design by Seadoo using plastic in an exhaust system

If the resonator melts and develops a hole the ski is more than likely going to sink
It definitely seems like a poor design, but they have used them for so long. Yamaha uses plastic as well. Seems like its imperative to stay out of shallow water to help minimize issues.

Think my ski was used in brackish water , I bought it off an auction site
Interesting... we try to run the boat in pretty deep/clear lakes. I try to stay on high alert for shallow water, but accidents do happen.

What temperature should the exhaust hose (from water box to resonator) be? Mine has been warm, but I wouldn't say hot. Just curious on your thoughts?

I believe you should’ve able to touch it by hand
My sea water temps are around 35C if not more so cooling is paramount

I believe you should’ve able to touch it by hand
My sea water temps are around 35C if not more so cooling is paramount
That is definitely warmer water. Our water here is usually 24C (75F) to 30C (86F) in the boating season, so we definitely have the advantage of cooler water up here.

Good to hear... thanks for letting me know. Gives me some peace of mind.

I’m not sure how it could happen without someone ignoring warnings. The exhaust temperature is monitored, and will alarm well before the temps can affect the resonator.

I’m not sure how it could happen without someone ignoring warnings. The exhaust temperature is monitored, and will alarm well before the temps can affect the resonator.
Yes, it seems like it would take a malfunction of the warning system for it to melt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back