pitted domes. Ok or Not

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

alx401

looks like engine blew a piston on my 94xp causing some pitting damage to the domes. I used dremmel tool to smooth out best i could but still have some small craters in the dome. Is there any reason not to use as is or is replacement essential. I dont see any cracks or any damage to the seals.

We would need a pic to make a call be in general good is good and bad is bad. There are good ones on the used market for reasonable prices. Make sure it's for a 657X and not a 657. Many ebay sellers don't understand that they are different engines and will list "657 657X...."

depending on the "dings" & where they are located, they can possibly cause hot spots, & depending on how much material is removed it can also lower your compression a pound or two. People run them dinged up all the time, but it really depends on the severity. Like Matt says, Picts would be helpful.

if it's a typical blown piston damage... I would use a small file, and just take the sharp edges off the dents. It will be fine.

If it's MAJOR damage, and dented to the point where you suspect a crack... then just get a new/used head. They go cheap on ebay. (Or contact Minnetonka)

Nope... you ground off too much. Replace it.

Basically... you should have used a small jeweler's file, and just dressed each of the pits. Since you ground away at the squash band... you won't properly cool the piston dome, and you will melt a piston crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back