Piston Damage 2004 GTI RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm still deciding on my path forward with this ski. It looks nice and supposedly everything works.... Ha ha... except of course the engine. :) This is the PTO piston. The rod bearing on the crankshaft is locked up. Oil lines look good I don't see an oil related failure here. Spark plug nice and tan... What's the root cause. Old age?? Abuse in its earlier life? The head on the PTO side has some uglies as well but the rings are in place whole and move freely. I don't think the ski was ever opened up or touched from a maintenance standpoint. Input is welcome. GTI 2004 Piston (1).JPEGGTI 2004 Piston (2).JPEG I have another complete RFI ski. I'm thinking of pulling the engine and checking it out... but I'm leaning towards building the engine, new crank, etc... Should be an adventure.

Last edited:
OK... it's ON. Engine apart and I have some questions and observations. :) I am trying to figure out if this is a stock engine. It is suppose to have 187 hours on it. Engine looks good but and a big BUTT... PTO Rod bearing on the crank seized. Does this look like the OEM engine parts.

I haven't seen an engine that has been milled on the rotary valve surface but I've only done a few. Is this OEM??
2004 GTI Engine (1).JPEG

So here is a fix on the starter.... I know someone has been in there. LOL I didn't realize the picture was so crappy but that is weld on the tip of the shaft. Pretty good weld job. I could never do that. :D
2004 GTI Engine (2).JPEG

Here is a picture of the engine and crank. To have such cool looking crank seals makes me think it's all OEM. Bearings are great.. whole engine turns free except for the Crankshaft Rod bearing.2004 GTI Engine (3).JPEG

Thi is the dirty rotton scoundrel that caused the problem but not a bad deal otherwise I wouldn't own the ski. :D:D O happy fault !! 2004 GTI Engine (4).JPEG

Thanks Dan. I know from looking at the size of the cutter, surface finish, and accuracy to obtain the proper tolerance it takes a very expensive machine to do that. LOL

It is also a stock crank but it looks like it has some rust spots. That would cause the bearing to go. Looks like it could have had the wrong oil too.
I would go new OEM crank and new top end if you are going to keep it.

Last edited:
Definitely the wrong oil. I'll be in touch about the rebuild. Wanna make sure it don't go BOOM. Ha ha. Parts on the way.

Well I started in earnest on the ski a few days ago. It's been in my shop taking up space. New Crank and the works. Going through the ski like always and finding lots of opportunities. Hope to fire it up today but don't want to get ahead of myself. Rebuilt injectors. My injector guy said one was garbage so I'm thinking that might have been the one that caused the engine failure. Luckily I had 2 extra injectors I sent along.

Here we are....2003 GTI RFI Engine (1).JPG2003 GTI RFI Engine (2).JPG2004 Engine install (1).JPEG2004 GTI  (1).JPEGEngine Alignment Tools.JPGEngine Installed (1).JPG

Replaced the fuel filters in the tank today. I'm gonna stick with OEM next time.. The Delphi filter and definitely not as good as stock. No too much left but I can nit pick for days. :) Got a storm coming in South Louisiana but I wanna put this girl on the water tomorow. Engine Install 2.jpeg

Thanks it's pretty clean especially compared to what it "Was". It's going to the car wash after I get it running. I want to get it on the water and get that first 30 to 40 minutes of running out of the way. I call that the spark plug fouling stage. :)

Arent you fancy with the spark plug hooks and alignment tool. lol

I used the eyelet on the exhaust manifold to hoist mine in and guess i got lucky with alignment as i didnt have the tool.

Arent you fancy with the spark plug hooks and alignment tool. lol

I used the eyelet on the exhaust manifold to hoist mine in and guess i got lucky with alignment as i didn't have the tool.

Agreed, that built-in-ring on the manifold works great for lifting them in and out.

You will know in time if you get lucky without checking alignment. Your PTO and Impeller splines will wear out if it is not correct.

Ha ha. I've not had a ski yet that was in alignment or even close. I get real anal if I suspect an angular misalignment. And the GTI that came in that about vibrated itself apart.
Regarding alignment, even if the mounts have not been moved it is best to re-align the engine. There is simply too much play in the bolt holes. misalignment will send any piece of equipment to an early grave.

As for the handy dandy spark plug lifting eyes, they came with some skis I bought. Very cool. :) If you buy enough junk, you're bound to find some good stuff now and again. Ha ha.Jet Ski Alignment.jpg96 GTI Alignment Bad.jpgDial Ind. Alignment (1).jpg

Not directing this at anyone just in general the discussion is leading to deep stuff in a good way so I feel it is appropriate to share this.

I've been doing mechanical stuff all my life. Machinist Apprentice in 1976. Believe me.... alignment is EVERYTHING and it isn't always rotating parts. As I was installing the exhaust pipe on this ski (since I had the engine apart and all the brackets were removed) I was very careful to make sure there was no "stress" on the exhaust pipe when I connected and tightened the mounts. Stress is misalignment as well which is why I get so into alignment. I spent years in the Equipment Reliability Group analyzing failures and much more along those lines but I really like to work on stuff personally.

As a result of my Seadoo experience.... I don't think people check or tighten their engine mounts and exhaust systems often enough. If they get loose you got vibration you shouldn't have... if you have vibration... you have misalignment and you'll get premature wear and premature failure.

Well well well... after much tweaking and getting it all in order. She fired right up. Ran only about 3 seconds. We have a big storm in the area or the ski would be in the water tomorrow. :)

I'm getting a low oil level warning. At would level does one get that alarm? I'd guess I have 2 quarts of oil in the reservoir.

My experience is 2 quarts isn't enough to make the float switch. It probably varies from tank model to model but the idea is to warn before getting dangerously low and some hysterisis in the switch must be accounted for.

Yes, they did a good job setting up the oiling system IMO. There's a good amount remaining in my tank once the oil light illuminates, maybe 1/4 tank.

Normally I fill it about half way and always pre-launch visual check then let it go till the light illuminates to confirm the switch works. Hopefully the new red oil doesn't obscure ability to see the level, we'll see how that goes.

This might not be an option with the tank stuffed up under the helm b/c you might not be able to observe the level in yours?

I just wondering if the oil level sensor is bad on this ski. I may take a few minutes to check it out. I'm already in there with the fuel system so it is accessible.

Depending on the oil tank discoloration and the light angle it can take a minute to see the oil level on some skis. I stick my handy dandy flashlight on the tank and at different angles. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back