Piston Damage 2004 GTI RFI

etemplet

Water Crafts
1996 SPI, 1996 GTX, 1997 GTX
I'm still deciding on my path forward with this ski. It looks nice and supposedly everything works.... Ha ha... except of course the engine. :) This is the PTO piston. The rod bearing on the crankshaft is locked up. Oil lines look good I don't see an oil related failure here. Spark plug nice and tan... What's the root cause. Old age?? Abuse in its earlier life? The head on the PTO side has some uglies as well but the rings are in place whole and move freely. I don't think the ski was ever opened up or touched from a maintenance standpoint. Input is welcome. GTI 2004 Piston (1).JPEG GTI 2004 Piston (2).JPEG I have another complete RFI ski. I'm thinking of pulling the engine and checking it out... but I'm leaning towards building the engine, new crank, etc... Should be an adventure.

Last edited:

etemplet

Water Crafts
OK... it's ON. Engine apart and I have some questions and observations. :) I am trying to figure out if this is a stock engine. It is suppose to have 187 hours on it. Engine looks good but and a big BUTT... PTO Rod bearing on the crank seized. Does this look like the OEM engine parts.

I haven't seen an engine that has been milled on the rotary valve surface but I've only done a few. Is this OEM??
2004 GTI Engine (1).JPEG

So here is a fix on the starter.... I know someone has been in there. LOL I didn't realize the picture was so crappy but that is weld on the tip of the shaft. Pretty good weld job. I could never do that. :D
2004 GTI Engine (2).JPEG

Here is a picture of the engine and crank. To have such cool looking crank seals makes me think it's all OEM. Bearings are great.. whole engine turns free except for the Crankshaft Rod bearing. 2004 GTI Engine (3).JPEG

Thi is the dirty rotton scoundrel that caused the problem but not a bad deal otherwise I wouldn't own the ski. :D:D O happy fault !! 2004 GTI Engine (4).JPEG

etemplet

Water Crafts
Thanks Dan. I know from looking at the size of the cutter, surface finish, and accuracy to obtain the proper tolerance it takes a very expensive machine to do that. LOL

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
It is also a stock crank but it looks like it has some rust spots. That would cause the bearing to go. Looks like it could have had the wrong oil too.
I would go new OEM crank and new top end if you are going to keep it.

Last edited:

etemplet

Water Crafts
Definitely the wrong oil. I'll be in touch about the rebuild. Wanna make sure it don't go BOOM. Ha ha. Parts on the way.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member