Pic of plugs from blown engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsw222

I decided to leave the top end of my blown engine buttoned up until spring since it is going into storage next week anyways, but this weekend I pulled the plugs to spray some fogging oil into the cylinders.

I attached a pic of the plugs. I'm not well versed in "reading" them yet, but for those of you who are... do they look normal? They look kinda different from each other, so maybe the rear cylinder was too lean and it contributed to the 0 psi?

I'll get pics of the top end up here in the spring... but i was just curious about the plugs now so i would know if i have to address fuel delivery issues in the spring in addition to rebuilding the top end / whole engine.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG00538-20101010-1638.jpg
    IMG00538-20101010-1638.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 68
OK... they both look OK for a 2 stroke... but I don't like to see that big of a difference between plugs from the same engine.

Ideally, they should be a dark brown color... but since we burn oil, and running a little rich will help a 2-stroke live longer... I like to see them on the dry, black side.

When an engine melts down for no reason... I tell people to find out why it happend... but in your case... I think the engines just lived their life. Once the piston rings wear out... the blow-by will over heat the pistons, and eventually, they melt because the heat doesn't transfer to the cyl wall, and into the cooling water.

OK... they both look OK for a 2 stroke... but I don't like to see that big of a difference between plugs from the same engine.

Ideally, they should be a dark brown color... but since we burn oil, and running a little rich will help a 2-stroke live longer... I like to see them on the dry, black side.

When an engine melts down for no reason... I tell people to find out why it happend... but in your case... I think the engines just lived their life. Once the piston rings wear out... the blow-by will over heat the pistons, and eventually, they melt because the heat doesn't transfer to the cyl wall, and into the cooling water.

Thanks for the response Tony... that gives me hope that I might be able to just get away with a top end job this spring and have her out in the water early in the season (the bottom end of the first engine looked good so i'm hoping that this engine's will be just as good)

Hmmm

Plug on left looks perfect - light tan to brown. . But the plug on the right is hard to see because of the shadow, but it looks like the center electrode is damaged or gone entirely, which would be a sign of detonation (knocking) which would destroy the piston and rings after a few hours.

Plug on left looks perfect - light tan to brown. . But the plug on the right is hard to see because of the shadow, but it looks like the center electrode is damaged or gone entirely, which would be a sign of detonation (knocking) which would destroy the piston and rings after a few hours.

I think the electrode was still in it... they're thinner than the regular plugs because these are the iridium ones... that might be why it looks different to you

But the other engine blew from detonation earlier this summer, so i wouldnt be surprised if this one had that problem too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back