P0325 - Knock sensor fault. Resistance OK, but how does the sensor actually work ??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davus

Hi Guys,

So after I finally got the ski "working" after my MAPS dramas, I took it out yesterday, only to find that after a few minutes I got a P0325 error (knock sensor).

Happy to replace the sensor, but have read a few posts suggesting that replacing the sensor doesn't always fix the issue. Those threads haven't gone on to explain what the issue is.

I cant find any other threads to really help me move any further.
A few quick points.

1) I've tested the wires as per the service manual (both to the plug, and the to ECU), and the resistance is 5Mohms as required.
2) This morning I started the ski, and surprisingly it was fine. Even revving it up past 5000rpm produced no errors.

However after a few minutes, the fault code came back. Conclusion - it seems to only happen once the engine warms up.

My MAPS error that I had taught me one lesson - seadoo error codes are not always related to the actual issue!. Plus ill admit, i love gettong down and dirty with detail!

I haven't taken the inlet manifold off yet, so I haven't been able to check the wires down lower, but the plugs etc that I can access look ok.

I haven't checked the mating surface of the sensor to the block yet. However the engine has been freshly rebuilt, and I was very particular as I rebuilt it to ensure that all torque settings were followed, and that the surfaces were clean (that's certainly not to say I haven't mucked it up - but the ski did run fine for the first run after the rebuild).

Having said that, is the the mating surface really relevant unless there is actual knock? (P0325 doesn't refer to knock perse, it refers to the sensor being faulty).

Theoretically I would have thought you could unbolt the sensor from the block and just leave it hanging, and all that would result is that the engine would never pickup knock.

My understanding = The crystals inside the sensor will generate voltage when it vibrates at the correct frequency. This voltage is transmitted through the wires to the ECU which determines how much to retard the engine timing by.

The factory manual says there should be 5Mohms across the two sensor wires. However I wonder (relatively ignorantly) if that resistance is simply for the ECU to determine if a sensor is actually present?. If it senses no resistance, it assumes there is no sensor connected, and throws an error. In theory, I should be able to unplug the sensor from the main harness, and bridge the two pins in the main harness with a 5Mohm resistor...............hmmmmmmm. Pity I don't have a 5Mohm resistor.

I realise I'm getting down into the weeds here..........but hoping someone might be able to chime in and tell me if im on the right track.

Dave

You can't just unplug or unbolt the knock sensor. The engine is constantly advancing and retarding timing and listens for it to start to knock(voltage signal changes) and then will back off the timing. If the sensor never detects knock, it will throw a code. Swapping the sensor out for a resistor is a very bad idea.

Just because it measures 5M ohms doesn't mean it is working properly. These sensors don't fail very often but can happen and is very simple and inexpensive to change. Wiring should be checked and even a bad ECU can create this fault.

Hi ski-d00

Just to clarify, I’m not actually going to make these changes to the ski. These are thought processes to help me determine if I’m understanding the operation of the knock sensor.

From there I can continue my practical troubleshooting.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back