Overheating Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfortune

I am looking to buy a 1994 speedster but I have been plagued with problems getting it running. The seller has allowed me to get it running before paying and taking "possession". The latest problem has me stumped. One of the engines has been melting the tube that runs from the top of the exhaust manifold down to the tuned pipe. I have replaced this line with a more heavy duty hose. In the picture, the hose is circled in yellow and the spot where the original tube was melting is circled in red.
lclxU.jpg

My question to you guys is this. Was the tube melting because the latex (or whatever it was made of) is probably going on 20 years old and becoming brittle or is their a more sinister issue?

It is worth noting, as you can probably see in the photo, the boot coming off of the flywheel was recently replaced by someone who I am guessing wasn't the most knowledgeable. Since that was replaced, I had it running well for about 5 minutes then the temperature alarm went off. I checked the hose that was replaced and it had melted again. I'm hoping these are all related but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for your help.

WOW... if you melted that hose... it got VERY hot.

With that said... the elbow fitting on the top of the head pipe (yellow circle) that is a metered orifice. Chances are... it's just plugged up. Take it out, and make sure it's clear.

It hasn't melted what is on there now, it melted the original. I wanted to make sure before I ruined the new hose of what I needed to try first. Thanks for the information, i will give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back