Overheat light stuck on

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bw23198

Hi. I have a 2007 Sea Doo Speedster 150 155HP 4Tec that I took out yesterday for the first time this season. For some reason the boat really struggled to get the RPMs up. Even when I went WOT it sounded as if the engine was really struggling. My guess is that the spark plugs probably need replacing. (I don't think I had them replaced last fall when the boat was winterized). I'm thinking the plugs are just fouled from all the winterization. But, this isn't the only problem I had. I also noticed the overheat light came on. Once I saw this I just parked the boat for about an hour and let the kids swim for a while. When we needed to head back in I took it slow the whole way back. The overheat light stayed on the whole time but the engine never beeped. This morning, with the boat being in my garage overnight, I put the put the key on to get a reading on the gagues and saw that the overheat light came on again. Obviously the engine was not hot as it had been off for 14+ hours and was cool to the touch. Is it possible for the gague to be faulty? If so is there any way to reset it?
-Brian

The dealer has to clear the code that tripped the light. That's the least of your problems. Try to figure out what caused it to illuminate. In my case they were the temp sensors.

Whenever a major component of the EMS (engine management system) is not operating, these boats go into "Limp Home Mode" which will limit the engine speed to allow you to get home without further damage.
I agree with Scott0321, any fault codes should be cleared with the B.U.D.S software after the problem is fixed.

As far as engine/exhaust overheating here are the basics to check;
-Low coolant level
-Air in cooling system
-Thermostat defective
-Water pump failure
-Water temp sensor defective
-Ride plate or heat exchanger or hoses damaged
-Exhaust system clogged
-Internal passage blocked in cooling system

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.