Opinions on installing ski module

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying and installing a ski module for my 2018 GTR but I want some feedback from those of you that have this feature. What is the max speed you can set for it? What kind of acceleration do you have for the variable ramp speed?

Here's why I ask. My main interest for installing it is to limit the top speed but still have decent acceleration when playing in surf or wakes. I have found that using the normal throttle mode has almost launched me off the PWC when reflexively gripping the throttle in rough water & wakes. Would the ski module act as kind of a governor that would allow a top speed 40-50 mph with moderate acceleration? If not, I'll save my money and use Eco mode or just learn better throttle control.

I don’t have this setup, but I had an idea that may or may not work. Can you have the dealer program the “learning” key to full throttle but limited top speed? I don’t have experience with this, and I don’t know if it’s possible to allow the learning key to go full throttle but it’s worth a call to the dealer if it would solve your problem and save you the money.

I've thought about that, but I would like the option to cancel ski mode on the fly. That way I can get top speed when I want it without having to kill the engine and swap keys.

I use ski mode on my 2011 Wake Pro whenever I am pulling a skier or wakeboarder. It works flawless for different size and age skiers. Set different acceleration and top speed for the different skiers. Punch a number and go, no throttle guess work. I’m guessing it would work fine for the Doctor, set a high acceleration low speed, number it, go to full throttle and hold on until you hit set speed.

I can’t remember the top speed you can set, manual is at cabin. 40-50 is a little fast for towing a wakeboard, like way too fast

I put the ski mode module in my GTR215 for my son to play with wakeboarding behind (when he doesn't want to go to the trouble of getting out the big boat). The fastest ramp is pretty slow compared to full throttle.

I found ski mode a little tricky to drive. Sometimes it seems like it thinks you have already started and it pulls really hard at the start like its trying to hit the set speed instantly. I think it depends if the IBR is in idle or already in forward when you start. Which is a PITA because to get the rope slack out, avoid driving over the rope, and get the PWC aimed in the right direction in preparation to pull the skier up takes a bit of maneuvering with both forward and reverse and it is tricky to end up in neutral without the rope going slack again if facing into the wind.

Other times, it stops and starts over on the ramp up.

I would really like to just ditch the whole ramp/start aspect of the ski mode and just have a simple max speed limiter (like what the OP seems to be wishing for).

I think the ski mode module can also be used to give you cruise control with the addition also of the cruise control switch. I saw an article on adding cruise at one point, but can't find it again now. Will be exploring that option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back