oil pump on 97 xp..fault?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

russianphil18

is there a way that the oil pump in a 97 xp (787) is faulty. i have a new engine in and fresh oil and gas and i bled the oil pump to get the air out but all i get is the new oil coming out the bleeder but the air pockets in the same exact place on the two little tubes going to the intake behind the carbs. is there a way to check if there is a fault in the pump?

When you open the bleeder, all you are doing is getting the air out of the feed hose. You have to start the engine, and let it idle, while you hold the arm on the pump to "full." When you do that... you shou'd see the oil pump up to the manifold.

OR....

You can take the pump off the manifold and spin it with a drill.

The seadoo pumps (them selves) almost never fail. Oil injection failures are normally on the support parts. (like clogged injection nozzles)

Thank you very much. just to make sure i understand, u mean as soon as i start the engine i pull the cable to pump more oil into the system and the oil should start going up through the pump. this is not the same as flooring the throttle, correct? because since i have a new engine i need to break it in first and cant floor it yet.

I have some electrical problem i need to fix first but while the starter was spinning the engine, shouldn't the oil injector have pumped at least a little bit, meaning i should have seen the air pocket in the tubes leading to the manifold move, but they didn't.
please let me know if i understood what to do correctly.

Yes... do not open the throttle... just pull the cable on the pump, so it thinks it's at full throttle.

As far as getting any oil on the starter... probably won't happen. The pump doesn't put out much oil, and it pulses about once a second at idle. (@3000 rpm) So... doing some quick math in my head... you are looking at a small pump (about 1/8" up the injection hose) every 50 revolutions of the crankshaft. If you crank it that much... the starter will be smok'in hot. Also... since you are at a much lower velocity (RPM) I'm not sure if you will make enough pressure to push the oil past the check valves.

do as he says, on my 02 XP, after I bled the lines there were a few air bubbles left. idle on the trailer is about 3,000 RPM, just open the oil pump and the air will move quickly out of the lines. it will also smoke a LOT while you are opening the pump. you aren't moving the throttle, just the oil pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back