Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow water bike owners,
I recently came into an issue(s) on my 1995 sea doo spx with the 657x engine.
I acquired this ski in no-start condition. I did a full fuel system rebuild(carb rebuild, fuel line replacement, fuel baffle replacement) since it had a fuel issue, and it started and I took it out.
While on the water I noticed it had trouble accelerating. Eventually I had to bail off it bc I was riding too hard, and my safety switch killed it. It didn't start(and I noticed it was having trouble starting the previous times I killed it. I brought the battery home and brought it to the local auto parts store, and the tester said good, needs charging.
I replaced the 15amp fuse, but it blew again, and the battery charging coil had the correct resistance and was putting out plenty(110v+) of AC voltage and on the DC side I was only getting battery voltage(and when I accelerated it blew the fuse again, so I am replacing the rectifier. I was wondering if there is a such thing as too much ac voltage, possibly caused by the fact that there's oil in the mag housing- I will address the oil issue later in this post because I need advice on that too. Was I was right in diagnosing it as a rectifier/regulator issue?
When diagnosing the charging issue, I tested the resistance on the The battery charging coil. I removed the spark plug wire holder so i can have easier access to the mag wiring harness. When unbolting it, I broke the top left(when viewed from the front of the ski). I removed the mag cover in an attempt to try to grab that with a vise grip. in doing so, I broke the bottom bolt. I then broke the top bolt flush with the mag housing. I wanted some advise on removing these bolts. I bought a bolt extractor set, but there's no room to put a drill. I am thinking of removing the mag housing to remove these, and have access to my mag crank seal, or remove my fuel tank to have room for a drill.
I have an oil issue too as mentioned before. When I removed my mag cover there was a lot of oil. I was wondering if this would be my mag oil seal, and what would I have to do to replace that. can I do it without splitting the case, and what special tools(besides a normal seal puller) would I need?
tl;dr: oil in mag housing, mag cover bolts broke. I need help. How can I remove the bolts, and how difficult is it to remove the oil seal?

Pics attached, thanks for the advice in advance20200727_212357.jpg20200727_202903.jpg20200727_202906.jpg20200727_202909.jpg20200727_212346.jpg20200727_212350.jpg20200727_212354.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator and that issue.

You will have to split the cases to change the crank seal and that needs to be done now.

You will have to drill out that bolt.

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator and that issue.

You will have to split the cases to change the crank seal and that needs to be done now.

You will have to drill out that bolt.

should I replace just the front main seal or should I replace the PTO seal? also what is the chance that my rotary valve seals are bad?

If it was me I would do all the seals since you have to split the cases anyway.
Reseal the cases with Threebond 1184, Yamabond, HondaBond or Permatex MotoSeal as they are all the same.

If it was me I would do all the seals since you have to split the cases anyway.
Reseal the cases with Threebond 1184, Yamabond, HondaBond or Permatex MotoSeal as they are all the same.
permatex RTV black won't work? I work at an auto parts store and get things from the store at a discount.
Also what should I do about aligning the engine? Is there dimensions on that alignment rod online? Bc I have access to a lathe to turn one instead of spending money on one. Or is there a place I can rent one from?

.....Or is there a place I can rent one from?

You can try OSDparts.com. They have many tools you can rent. you pay a large deposit, but they refund everything except except the rental fee when you return it. The downside is you only have 7 days from the day it was shipped to the day it is received back at OSD. Given the delays with the "Rona" you could rack up a couple extra days of rental charges. Also, don"t forget that you have to pay shipping both ways, which is at least $10 each way.

With all that said it is better than buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back