Oil in exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

marke52896

I have a 1997 Seadoo GTX and I just rebuilt the carb and replaced the original fuel lines. I started the ski for the first time and while it fired right up there is oil coming out of the exhaust, actually quite a bit. Is this a rave valve issue or top end rebuild?

How long did the ski sit from last being run to this time that you fired it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just over the winter (6 months). Winterized along with my 96 GTX and the 96 is running just fine. I ran it for about 5 minutes until it choked out I assume from oil on plugs.

Probably the crank seal. Are you familiar with it and what it may do during longer storage?

I can't say I am. While I'm good on many automative repairs I'm new to the PWC. I rebuilt carbs on both skis and replaced original fuel lines anything else will be new. I know seals can shrink and in some case with use will expand back into place.

On the 2 stroke engines, the crank seal fails and allows oil to seep past it and fill the crank case of the engine. When you crank the engine it sucks the oil into the cylinder and either locks the engine up or smokes big time and pumps the oil through the exhaust. Very common issue. Most install a shut off valve and never fix the seal issue as it normally requires a crank.

Interesting, so I can install a shutoff valve in the oil line and turn it off when not in use? So would I need to drain the crank case or will it blow out?

Correct, but make sure you use the same ID as what the line is as you do not want to restrict the flow.. There are also Solenoid Based vales that pick up the ground from the DESS post. This way you wont forget to turn it on.

Just run it,, as long as it cranks and starts you don't have to much oil in there. Many lock up and require pulling the plugs to clear the oil. You may want to put in a new set of plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back