Oil in 4tec intake oil, intercooler hoses and intake manifold

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davus

Hi Guys,

Ski is a 2009 RXT IS 255.

Ive done a bit of searching here, but cant really seem to find anything definitive that points me in the right direction.

Was doing some unrelated work to my ski the other day, and as a result had the airbox out (as associated hoses). I noticed a moderate amount of oil buildup in the intercooler intake hose. I dug a little deeper and also found a noteable amount of oil residue in the intercooler hoses, and inside the inlet manifold. To be clear, I have found oil in both the vaccum side and positive pressure side of the supercharger hoses (refer pictures below).

There is no oil in the water, and the ski itself seems to perform well with no notable issues. I haven't noticed any oil burning smoke coming out of the ski.

IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG

In the searching I have done, it appears as though there are three possible explanations.

1) Faulty TOPS switch (not sure if this would cause oil release on both sides of the supercharger)
2) Faulty seal of some sort in the supercharger.
3) Nothing is wrong, this type of oil leak is fine (and ive seen people saying this online)

The supercharger was rebuilt about 15 hours ago (by me). Infact the whole engine was rebuilt (again by me) about 15 hours ago. As a result there is no information on prior performance.

I'm hoping you guys and girls can help with a suite of troubleshooting ideas to fix this (if indeed it needs fixing).

The TOPS switch from what I can tell appears to be working OK. When in the upright position I can blow air through it, and when I turn it upside down, I cannot. Im hoping this is the right test.

However I'm reluctant to pull the charger out if I don't have to. And if I do have to pull it out, id like to (if possible) have a pretty good idea of what I should be targeting.

Looking forward to any guidance / advice.

Dave

The oil comes from the crankcase vent which is normal to have a small amount, the problem you have for sure is the intercooler is leaking and needs to be replaced. Change your oil after also, winterize properly as damage to intercoolers is common. Watch your oil consumption after the problem is fixed, the rings should seal up again.

hi digdog.

As part of the rebuild, I purchased and installed a brand new OEM intercooler. So unless it's had a massive failure within 10-15 hours, I would suggest maybe that's not the problem?.

The ski is showing no other signs of a leaking intercooler? (Not water spray out of intercooler hose etc.).

Dave

Guys I’d also just to confirm one other thing.

With the charger installed, should I be able to spin the impeller wheel?.

With the air box and hose off, I can put my fingers into the inlet of the charger, and I can move the impeller wheel. Granted it takes a fair bit of force (IE: I can only move it about 1/2 a turn before it hurts my fingers too much.

Is this expected behavior?

Dave

Guys I’d also just to confirm one other thing.

With the charger installed, should I be able to spin the impeller wheel?.

With the air box and hose off, I can put my fingers into the inlet of the charger, and I can move the impeller wheel. Granted it takes a fair bit of force (IE: I can only move it about 1/2 a turn before it hurts my fingers too much.

Is this expected behavior?

Dave
Sorry the photos showed water in the tube and it looks like it was mixed with the oil, you should not be able to spin the impeller by hand, something is wrong as the slipping torque is 71-106 inch lbs. be sure to test turning counter clockwise. You need to remove it and rebuild if you have the proper tools for it or have it rebuilt. If the S/C had a ceramic washer in it, then you will probably have to remove the engine and get the debris out before you continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back