oil cable has no tension after rebuild of carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPX_N_NEED

I have been working on my 95 spx.

I replaced the gray fuel lines and rebuilt the carb.

I took it all apart by just guessing what would work to get it apart and while disconnecting the carb I removed the 3 cables.

I assumed one was choke and the other two were for each carb. WRONG.

One is for my oil pump.

So after re assembling I have come to the conclusion I am doing something wrong.

There is one piece of hollow all thread and one nut. I feel like i may have dropped something under the engine while disassembling the carb.

Can anyone please help me with getting this back in order?

Do I need some more nuts to connect this thing? am I missing something here?

Let me take a picture and post exactly what I am dealing with and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

You probably messed up the spring tension on your 657X motor.
this pic is off a 787 but it might help get an idea on how to set the spring....it took me several PITA attempts to get it right.
Lou has a pic of a 717....maybe someone else has a pic of the 657X motor.

Edit. sorry but can't find the right pic right now

Attachments

• oil pump housing 1 - 787.jpg
    oil pump housing 1 - 787.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by a moderator:
i feel like there should be some sort of hollow all thread that goes over the cable and mounts on that bracket that is n the picture. I have it connected around the cable arm and it seems to have tension when you pull on it.

but the cable sits inside the bracket loose. as if there is a piece missing that goes in the bracket and then a nut on each side of the bracket similar to the throttle linkage and choke linkage.

It seems like a piece fell off or I am just not connecting it right.

Maybe a better picture as that one was from a phone and kind of hard to see what I mean.

That picture only confuses me more because I cant really see what I am doing under the carb even with it removed I can barely see the rocker that the cable connects to

Last edited by a moderator:
This is off of a 720 but I believe the 657 has the same setup. Be sure to adjust the oil lever from the pump with the notch as per the picture.

Lesson learned for next time I guess, before you put the carbs back on hook up the oil pump cable.

Here is the throttle and choke cable locations and mounts, the cable for the oil pump will come off the PTO carb and go to the oil pump, I will see if I can get a picture

I can see the pump and I have the cable connected to the pump. but it just seems that it isnt mounted up right.

There is no tension and the cable isnt sliding back in forth properly.

If someone had a picture of the set up for my ski I could start messing with it once the sun came back up.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first go round with a jet ski.

Eveyone here has been a great help for replacing fuel lines and the carb rebuild

thanks again in advance

The pictures I posted should be exactly what you have on that ski.

Your oil cable will run off the PTO carb and go to the oil pump. This is a picture of the bracket on the PTO carb where your oil cable will get mounted to.

This is what your PTO end cable should look like. This is the end that you adjust to align your pump properly (the notches as shown in the above pic)

You will want to slide the one nut all the way down the cable to get as much slack as possible to get the ball at the end of the cable onto the carb.

Make sure the cable is laying in the groove and tighten the nuts just finger tight until you get the pump adjusted.

Unless you cable is corroded or frayed, once it is all hooked up you should be able to pull the throttle and the oil pump lever will move at the same time.
The oil pump lever is spring loaded, if there is no tension there you might have to give it a rotation counter-clockwise to catch the spring.

ok after further inspection it looks as though the spring is free spinning on the oil control arm.

So...

A- that needs to be properly re attached.

B-I need to figure out how to attach the cable to the mounting bracket on the PTO Carb

ok that was a great help. I have the throttle cable properly attached. What my problem is as follows....

Where you have two nuts on your cable I only have one.

From the looks of the oil cable I cant figure out how the nuts and washers would have slid off the cable or got lost.

This is what I can only assume may have happened while I blindly disassemble the oil control arm thinking it was gonna be easier to attach.

my mounting plate has two holes for connecting cables. one for throttle one for oil.

I will take better pictures or maybe a link to a video in the morning exploring exactly as I see it.

I know what I am supposed to be hooking up just seems as though I am missing a nut and washer

Do you only have 1 nut on both ends of the cable? Is it possible that you put the end with the 2 nuts on the oil pump? The end of the cable that attaches to the oil pump only needs 1 nut as in post #5.

The carb that has the bracket with 2 mounting holes on it should be on the mag side carb. Post #7 shows the mag carb and mounting bracket. Post #11 is the PTO carb with the oil cable mounting bracket.

this carb is not set up like this

The carb in the pictures is different.

The PTO carb has the cable for the choke. Am I missing something here?

my carb has a throttle arm and another cable about 6 inches long connected to it. This is on the MAG side of the carb.

On the bottom of the mag side there is a a mounting bracket with two holes for mounting cables.

THe PTo side of the carb has a bracket which controls the choke.

I have tried swapping these plates thinking I put them on the wrong side but they do not line up.

PLus I remember them being this way when I took them apart.

The throttle lever and oil cable are connected to each other you can not pull them apart.

The nuts on the oil cable do not move they are permanently attached.

Pictures to follow. I pulled the carb off the ski and I am starting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back