OEM Covers - Do they scratch the gelcoat/plastic on the 2015 GTI 155 SE Maldive Blue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddlebucks

I just bought 3 GTI 155 SE Maldive Blue & 1 GTI 130 SE Manta Green. I have purchased the OEM Sea-Doo covers for these and noticed that the material under the cover that makes contact with the PWC is fairly ruff. When trailering with the covers on it seems as if it would scratch the paint/gelcoat? There is also a hard (maybe metal) rod to the left and rights side where the vent is that looks as with wind it would place a good mark on the PWC. Does anyone have any experience where this happens? Or am I just being paranoid with my new purchases? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
good question as i'm getting ready to buy a gti as well, ive too been paranoid and trailer them without a cover just in case but i dont go down dirt roads.
hopefully someone that knows well will reply.

With the color being so vivid you would notice hairline scratches. I am planning to take them all to Key West for the 4th of July weekend (about 400 miles one way) so trailing with the cover sounded good as its a long drive and should protect from small rocks and debris. However, I am wondering which is the lessor of two evils - Cover or take my chances with potential rocks and debris?

I have the limited so it's black and green I have the sea doo cover and it's pvc inside by the vent from what I can tell but I drive with my cover all the time and I have not had any scratches or swirls at this time. The part of the cover the covers nose and front 1/4 is like a soft felt or something inside then back half it just cover

@ Nike12000 - Thanks! I did notice that there was some felt that covered the plastic area only. It does not come down the sides near the vents at the front or remaining parts of the cover. There is a hard tube near the vent to give it strength and keep it formed - this area is my concern as it is just nylon/canvas fabric direct on the gelcoat and that hard tube is pivoting on the front right and left gelcoat. Please see pictures. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I'm going out tomorrow weather permitting I will 2x check mine I could have sworn the "soft" fabric came farther down on mine but I won't swear to it. But regardless I personally have not had any scratches... yet..... :)

Talked with the dealer that sold them to me today and they informed me that they have never seen or heard anyone complain about scratches. They further said that the covers will create a vacuum form around the ski where the material should not move back and forth. This of course is coming from the people that sold me 4 covers at $1000.00 ;-)

I haven't had an issue but you could put a soft cotton sheet between the doo and the cover
to make 100% sure.

for those that are interested, i have trailered my ski with the cover on total of 450 miles and no scratches

It will also depend on the condition of the inside of the cover. Both my OEM have soft cotton on portions of the inside and do not scratch.

An older 98 GTX I had with an old OEM scratched the hood - substantial enough that it was very difficult to get the scratches out. Like I said above you could
put an inexpensive cotton sheet over the machine first and then the older cover if you have to have it covered.

I prefer mine covered for long trips but I always wash the machine and wax it prior just out of habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back