Odd Tire Size

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgsx

Just purchased a double trailer and it needs tires. The size on there now are 155/80/13 - 5 lug tires. However everywhere I have gone that sells trailer tires only have 175/80/13. Is that a big difference in tire size?

You can buy new tires already mounted on new rims for about the same cost as having new tires mounted on your old rims. If you just buy new tires and rims you'll know it's the proper tire for that rim.

Lou

Thats what I was planning to do. So you think since my current rim is 13 inch I should be safe with the 175/80/13 size ??

I guess my biggest issue is I have no idea what should be stock on this thing. The sticker gone. Each tire is the same size but different brand, making me think they were changed at some point and it should be 175 vs 155. Also the trailer brand online shows 175 but that is also the current style they are making. I hate buying used :( http://haulritetrailers.net/jsdouble-13.html

Stock size is immaterial. You care about weight load and tire clearance. Short fat carry more but will spin MANY more times in their life compared to talk and skinny. The key is where you intend to use us the ski(s). Local, short and fat are fine. Mostly highway travels, taller and skinny. Then modify from there based on what your intentions are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many tire diameter caluclators on the internet google is your friend. You can see the actual differences that way, and make a judgement if there will be clearance. I think you have to be pretty far off in outer diameter if you stay with 13 inch many will probably fit fine but it's worth considering so check it out.

The other thing is load rating, make sure those new ones are rated appropriately for the weight. Most real trailer tires should be maintained at 80psi, so they're a much different animal than any car tire.

Radial type trailer tires are fine, less rolling resistance so they run a little cooler but they must be rated for trailer use.

the key is clearance from the fenders. my karavan trailer i can only use 4.80 x 12 bias ply or 145 r12 radials or they will rub the fender brackets when hitting a bump.

Well I actually heard back from the trailer place and he said they have never used the tire size that I have currently . Looks like I will be going to Northern Tool and getting 3 New tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back