Ocean riding

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

tractng

Been wanting to ride the ocean for sometimes now. Just have to squeeze some more rides at the lake to get a good feel for the jet ski/water.

I do have a question regarding riding in the ocean. When you launch your jet ski onto the ocean and go for a cruise along the shore, what do you use as a reference point to return to the launch area? Do you use a pier as a reference or a GPS?

Seems like once you are far enough, looking onto the shore, everything looks the same.

Thank,
Tntrac

Do you launch the ski off the beach?If so,leave your car/trailer where it can be seen.2 miles offshore is a long way to go out.Never rely on a gps to get you hope.It's a last resort.Get your landmarks and draw them and put them in a waterproof zip bag.1st thing is to go 200metres offshore and pick a landmark on the shoreline.Now pick a landmark that is miles behind that one towards the horizon.You can go anywhere from there.When you realign those original marks,you head to shore.Even better is to take 2 points at different angles.Look left.Take points.Look right.Take points.This way you can find just about ant point you want.
Hope this helps

Do you launch the ski off the beach?If so,leave your car/trailer where it can be seen.2 miles offshore is a long way to go out.Never rely on a gps to get you hope.It's a last resort.Get your landmarks and draw them and put them in a waterproof zip bag.1st thing is to go 200metres offshore and pick a landmark on the shoreline.Now pick a landmark that is miles behind that one towards the horizon.You can go anywhere from there.When you realign those original marks,you head to shore.Even better is to take 2 points at different angles.Look left.Take points.Look right.Take points.This way you can find just about ant point you want.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the good advice. I haven't launched at the ocean yet but here in southern calif. I assumed there is a launcher one must use. I don't think most beach will let you launch straight from the beach (sand area).

tntrac

ocean riding.

I am on the east coast of Oz.We do a lot a fishing and launch straight off the beaches.The more you do this the more you recognise the shoreline.It's a great feeling to launch off a beach and than go out through the surf.When you come back in,you stay just behind the wave in front of you.It gives you a little bit of deeper water and you know you are not going to get knocked on the head from behind.The ocean is a fantastic place to ride and be boating.

this is an old thread but this is what i used to do when i still got the yamaha 1300gp

I left my truck in the parking lots near the Ocean and raise the flag. it is about 7- 8 meter longs. USA Flag and on the bottom is an Orange Flag! that is how i find my way home... I stopped cuz the cop said it is unsafe! I was like it will not fall but they said safety reason i cant do it.

Smog Man: Whats your Sea Don't going to think when it gets an ingestion of salt through its body, after consuming only fresh water????

No way Jose would I drop my Kawi, or even one of my old Sea Don't in the ocean.

Just an opinion from a guy who won't let salt near his PWC.

Eh....salt rinses out. Trust me, I'm a fresh water fiend that occasionally goes to the salt. One of the first posts said not to rely on GPS, but I beg to differ. A good GPS unit, one that is waterproof, is worth it's weight in gold off shore. There is a reason the big guys use it.

Back