Not Pulling Gas To The Carbs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey530

Hi! I bought a '95 Seadoo 657x GTX about 2 years ago. It was too good of a deal to pass up so I thought I'd try and fix it up! After a lot of no luck, i finally decided to completely rebuild the engine. Finished that up and it cranks great but wont pull gas to the carbs! We completely rebuilt them as well. I read a lot of different posts about why its not getting fuel to the carbs, and some saying that the carbs could the issue still, and one post specifically said try to hook a new hose up to the fuel in on the carb directly to a gas tank full of premixed. It tries turning over but at that point i was already low on battery. Hooked it up to the charger and put a few drops of premix in each cylinder and guess what? She fired right up and ran! I let it idle for about 10-12 seconds before shutting it off. So my question is what could be causing it to not be getting fuel from the actual tank? It has no grey tempo lines, and I took the fuel selector valve off and am able to blow air by mouth through it, so it dosent feel gummed up. Should I replace it anyways? Any other suggestions? Sorry in advance, im a complete noob when it comes to these types of things, just good at reading a manual lol
Thanks!
Michael

Seems like they pretty much always recommend replacing the fuel selector. Does the ski have a fuel filter with a basket? If so have you cleaned that filter or replaced it? You made sure to hood up the engine pulse line to the carb?

Hi! Yes, pulse line is connected, and I did clean the filter and basket up front! Also cleaned the selector valve but will just replace or it! I'll probably replace the filter and basket up front as well!

You have the the input fuel line and return line reversed? Either at carbs or at top of the gas tank? Gas cap on and the spark arrestor covering over the carbs?

I have the fuel lines correct and tried with gas cap on and off and tried with arrestor both on and off

Any place that can suck air will cause it to not pull fuel.

Run a line directly from the RES fitting on the tank to the inlet of the carb and see if it will pull fuel and run. If it does not then it's the fuel pump on the carb. If it does then start connecting back to the system until you find the problem.

I'll definitly try that! Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to working on these, well really any vehicle lol but shouldn't I have ruled out the fuel pump on the carbs already since it ran good from a line fed directly into a gas can straight to the carbs?

I have an inexpensive vacuum/pressure pump I use to check for fuel system issue. I clamp a feed line between the fuel tank and the selector valve (on or res) and pressure up the system from the carb inlet line. This allows me to check the fuel selector as well. When I switch the selector to the open line pressure bleeds off. Then I switch lines clamping the other one. When testing, any drop off in pressure tells me there is a leak. I only replace the fuel valve if I prove it is leaking. You may find what is leaking is the fuel filter o-ring. That happens. Good Luck !!

on a side note: I've had new fuel valves leak... even the ones they call OEM. I've repaired them and got them working as they should.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm not in any hurry with the weather and all, so I'll probably just take my time and pull the tank, drain it and clean it. And then individually inspect each hose as well as replace the selector and filter! Figure it's $15 each for peace of mind lol just want it to run for the summer so it dosent just sit in the garage lol

Better get an OEM fuel selector. I've never had luck with any of the cheaper versions even at $27.00. Sometimes replacing the aftermarket stuff introduces new problems you didn't have previously. You didn't by any chance install in "In-line fuel filter did you.. That caused me a lot of grief on my SPI. When I tossed it, the ski ran great and didn't miss a beat. Again... good luck !!

No inline filter, just the bowl under the dash area that was already there! And will do! Is there a way to see if my selector is still good? I can blow air (even by mouth) thru it just fine on both on and reserve positions!

For peace of mind and no problems for years I always spend the $47 and replace the entire fuel strainer and on/off valves with genuine seadoo on every ski I own or work on. Cheap insurance.

*UPDATE*
I reconnected the original fuel selector valve since it seemed clear and not gummed up. Hooked up the on and reserve hoses from the tank, and then ran a new line from the out port of the fuel selector valve straight to the carbs inlet. My suspicion was that the o ring was bad in it, not saying it couldn't have other issues too. Well what do ya have it, she fired up and ran! Looks like I'm in the market for a new water separator filter and then can call it a day (hopefully) lol! The the worst part of the entire jetski/ engine project... knowing I finally have a running jetski in my garage but cant take it out for a test run for a couple months!

Keep in mind if that 20 year old selector is sucking air you risk seizing the engine on a $27 part.

I'll just go ahead and order it then! Bettsr to be safe! And yeah. Our lakes completely frozen over still, even if I wanted to test it I couldn't lol

Side question! I drained the gas tank, and when I pulled the fuel baffle the float and end cap were missing. I figured they would be in the tank so drained it and nope, nowhere to be found! I'm guessing the person before me lost them? Anywho, anyone know where I can buy the end cap for it? O see the magnet floats all over but cant seem to find the end cap/ filter for it!
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back