Noob here to introduce myself

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bart98stang

Hello everyone. Noob here from SE Virginia. I retired from the Navy a few years ago and now I'm a Field Service Electronics Tech that deals with a lot of electro-mechanical equipment. While that doesn't qualify me as a mechanic, I can make my way around small 2 stroke engines. Last year I procured my first PWC, 1995 Polaris SL650 and I was able to get it running pretty strong by just reading various forums. I recently came across a free 1995 GTX with 150psi in both cylinders and spark. Getting a list together of all the maintenance parts I need to order. I will not post on here much as I rather research and find the problem myself plus I may come across something new that I didn't know. If I do post a question I can assure you I tried to research my answer. Take care everyone.

Welcome to the forum.

The seadoo's are kind of special in their own way ad different from the other manufacturer's in their requirements. There is also a lot of bad info out there especially on Facebook so if you want the correct info on your ski then this the the correct place to be.

150 compression is perfect on that engine and at 120 psi it is done and needs to be rebuilt.
The basics are...
1. Replace all the old gray fuel lines with standard 1/4" automotive fuel line as the grey rts from the inside.
2. Rebuild the carbs with only Genuine Mikuni parts.
3. Make sure you are only using API-TC oil not blue TCW-3. They can't be mixed.
4. Replace the small 3/32" oil injection lines. The oil injection is super reliable and there is no reason to remove it on Seadoo's.
5. Change the oil in the jet pump.
6. Check the impeller and wear ring.
7. Replace the fuel selector (no Chinese clones) and fuel filter o-ring.

I had no idea regarding the API-TC oil. I'm going to read up on that, thank you. I've been reading about the SeaDoo's oil pump being very reliable, however, I may block the carburetor inlets anyway and go to pre-mix. It's peace of mind for me. I do understand I need to keep the oil lines to the RV.

You can do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable but the oil pmps don't fail on the seadoo's and you will use a lot less oil. I have always removed the pumps on Yamaha's and Kawasaki's but never the seadoo.

Welcome and thank you for your service to our Nation.

You are in the right place for good info and help with your DOO.

The oil pumps on the Rotax are super reliable. I have only seen one fail and that was due to manufacturing not wear, it failed right out of the crate and burned the motor after the break in premix tank. I would suggest leaving the system in place, there's a much higher chance of having straight gas finding it's way into the tank than of having the pump fail.

Post a pic of the GTX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back