No start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clivingston

99 challenger 1800 won't do nothing. Key in and hit start button and not even a click on either motor. Where do I start?

Welcome to the forum! I'll assume you have a battery in the boat and connected correctly, and is the battery disconnect under the hatch in the on position? Sorry, don't mean to be elementary, but you kinda left the door wide open. :D There should be a few fuses hanging under the battery selector switch and also on the MPEM(the big black panel). I think there are also a fuse in the black boxes that are mounted near the battery (one on each side of the boat) where the red cables run into and out of for the starters.Personally I would disconnect the battery and check continuity of the fuses with a meter one at a time. Don't hook a battery charger or the like up to the boat and try and start it, the electronics are fragile (MPEM--main brain) and can be very hard to come by.

Do you get any beep when you plug the lanyard on the DESS post?

I don't get a beep that I can hear right off. The two boxes on both motors... They both full of water. Gonna say that's not good. This boat tried to turn over a few time but no fire. This is a project boat so I'm working on where I can. I will check the fuses first thing tomorrow. It won't do anything now. The bilge and light will come on but the gauges and motors will not. Thanks for the input. I am new to this and learning as I go.

It's tough on those boxes being wet, make sure every connection and ground is good and clean. I'm gonna say if you haven't tried it yet, pull the spark plugs and grab the PTO on the back of the engines where the drive shafts go in. The engines should spin. If they don't---I'll bet they're full of water too, since those boxes are and those are on higher ground. So that could be a good reason nothing is happening.

To test your beeper, just ground the temperature sensor and put the key on the post. In a few seconds, the beeper should buzz. If not, it is a simple replacement with a Radio Shack part for $8. Even without the beeper working, you should hear a little click when you put the key on the post from the MPEM box in the back.

It sounds to me like the boat sank if those electrical boxes are full. If it has been that way for some time, the motors are going to be toast and they will need to be replaced. If you don't have a shop manual yet, become a premium member here to download it or do a little googlefoo.

Ok found a blown fuse and now I'm getting the motor to turn over only to find the motor full of water. Does that mean the motor is useless? Guy said it rained and the plug was in. This was recent. Needing the option of ppl who know what they talking about. Y'all been a big help so far.

Stick a fork in it, the engines are done. Unfortunately you can't store these boats outside with the drain plug in. The rain water will slowly fill the ski locker, that in turn drains into the bilge and when that is sealed you make an expensive hot tub.

Now for the big ? How much are you into it for?

OK, perhaps both engines are not done, but you will need to do some investigation. I did a guys 99 Challenger last spring that he bought. The one engine was full of water the other was not. He elected to just have me put to fresh engines in, rebuild both jet pumps including impellers, rebuilt all 4 carbs, new fuel pumps, fuel lines, and some other odds and ends. I want to say he was like $3,500+/- into it with shipping etc..... I would would say he was probably close to $3g's into it before I got paid, and I was the cheap part. You can see what I did in the following thread. I found the engine filled with water by taking the air boxes off the carbs and opening the throttles. Then I stuck a tube down there and then held my finger over the end to trap the fluid. So that is one way to check with out getting in too deep. I then used a hand held mighty vac pump and pumped some out just to re confirm my findings. So, only one of your engines may be smoked, tough call.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?61486-Big-thanks!

2850 right now

OK, so obviously the guy knew at that price since that would be well below market for a good boat. ASSUMING the rest of the boat is really nice it might be worth putting the money into.

Rebuilt engines $900 a pop plus shipping
4 Carb kits $50 a pop
2 new fuel pumps (guys have been using non OEM for cheaper) $45 a pop

Then there will be you incidentals like oil, grease and the little odds and ends, but you might be about to do it without doing the pumps for close to $2500 assuming YOU do all the labor.

Around $5k to $6K is the going price, by me they range fro $5 to $7K as is. So if you were to get to the point of being $5K+ into it you would know what you have and should have a solid boat for several years to come. If it were me and the thing was in good shape, I'd repower it and enjoy it.
[MENTION=58005]Pale Rider[/MENTION] is another good guy who know the ins and outs of the Challenger, be warned--he is sick in the head and goes way over the top--you've been warned. I mean that in the best possible way Andy;)

Here is his rehab job on his Challenger

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...1800-Restoration-Project-quot-Reel-Swell-quot

I'm gonna try the tube trick bc I'm not positive it has water. I took out the plugs and a puff came out as I turned it over. Smelled like gas. I don't think I'm getting fire to the plug either. I am a et not a mt so this mechanical stuff is German to me. Seeing as the box where the plug wires come from and the connections are corroded pretty bad that might be part of my problem. One motor is brand new from sbt and the other is newly rebuilt. Gonna call tom see if the new one still under warranty. But still not positive it's waterlogged. How can I test the plugs. I retired grounding it but didn't get any spark. Grounded to the exhaust manifold. Worse case and I have to replace both motors.. Still worth fixing?

[MENTION=58005]Pale Rider[/MENTION] is another good guy who know the ins and outs of the Challenger, be warned--he is sick in the head and goes way over the top--you've been warned. I mean that in the best possible way Andy;)

Here is his rehab job on his Challenger

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...1800-Restoration-Project-quot-Reel-Swell-quot

DOH! I just caught this! :facepalm::lols:

thanks for the attaboy Dan! :lols::seeya:

I`m just waiting for the rain to stop to test out the newest repair. :facepalm::lol::cheers:

OP, I would probably stop trying to start or power up the boat, until all the connections have be repaired and proven. every try you make you RISK frying the MPEM.

I`m sure the coil/soleniod boxes are full of water too and there also lye`s a problem...

almost sounds like the PO knew this one was smoked...

good luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
I took it to the dealership for a check out. I really don't know enough to make a good call on this one yet. Def don't want to mess anything up like the MPEM. I'm doing alot of reading and learning while its there. I really do thank yall for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back