No start, no spark broken safety key question.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLiver

2002 Utopia 205 240 EFI. Starter had been giving me occasional problems so decided to change it. When I went to start it up to pull it out of the lift it just cranked. Eventually I noticed the safety key broken and on the floor of the boat I never messed with it before so didn’t notice it missing) . Pushing the button in, it started up. I tried disconnecting the entire safety switch at the harness, thinking it might bypass it, and it started up, ran for about a minute, with throttle advanced, then died.
I hooked the safety switch back up and tried holding the button in and it would start but only for a few seconds. I knew my battery was going bad so replaced that with a new one but didn’t help.

Now it won’t start at all and just cranks. After more extensive digging, realized there is no spark to the plugs. If I take out the yellow/black wire from the bullet clip on top of the engine, there is spark.

I ordered a new safety key but looking for some ideas. Since the initial problem developed when the key broke, I have to think that has something to do with it but don’t know why it went from running a little bit to not starting at all. Does the ECU go into complete lock out mode and prevent spark at some point, no matter if the safety switch is pressed or not? I’ve been looking on the web and trying about everything I can think of. The three fuses in the harness on the side of the engine are good. Both fuel pumps are new the fuse is good. Any other hidden fuses?

Looking for some ideas before I go through the ordeal of taking it in. Thanks!

Sounds like you may be fighting with the mysterious Throttle Guardian. It is a feature added to some Seadoo Merc engines but doesn't show up on electrical diagrams. I think the idea was for it to put the engine in limp mode when a failure exists to keep the operator from blowing the engine. And yes, it can kill the spark. Most people say they are a little black box located behind the helm. Do a search for it. You can probably still find them for sale on ebay. I would just bypass or remove it. Good luck.

Yep... if you have a guardian... remove it. The other thing is... your key switch could also be going bad. That Black/Yellow just goes to ground to kill the engine. Use a meter and try to find what's causing the ground.

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a new safety switch as well so hopefully between a new key and switch it’ll do the trick. I’ve seen the box behind the helm (which I’m assuming is the guardian) that the switch wire, and a few other wires, go into.

Would cutting and capping the the wires bypass it? It looks like a sealed unit with no visible harness. I’m not going to do anything else until the new switch and key come in (I’ll be traveling for awhile so won’t be able to try them out for about 10 days) but just in case that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll try bypassing it. It’s run great up until this point.
Thanks again for the advice. Quite helpful.

Edit to add pic of the guardian. 477AD285-5BC1-495A-9492-DD967358BF9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Just for giggles and my natural sense of adventure and curiosity, I removed the guardian by cutting off all the wires to it (leaving room for reattachment). Still the same. Starter runs but no hint of ignition. There would seem to be an open circuit somewhere that isn’t allowing the ECU to energize the coils, right?
I’m fairly decent at diagnosing car problems but I’m at a loss with this thing.

ok..... couple things.....

Yes... you can just cut it loose, and tape up the ends if you want. BUT, there should be some bullet connectors somewhere. To be 100% honest... just cut the black/yellow wire. But like I said... it causes all kinds of intermittent, pain in the butt issues. Mine came out 7 years ago... don't miss it. FYI... it's not even on the Mercury Sportjet wiring diagram. It's a part that Seadoo wanted to add in. That's why it's in the helm and not on the engine.

Next... unlike a car... this is a MAG ignition. The stator coils make a relatively high voltage charge... and charges the CDI inside each of the coil packs. When the trigger sees a magnet... that smaller charge fires the CDI. Yes... there is some other controls in place... but the ECU on the 240 doesn't really do anything for the ignition. Basically... the Ignition control module sends signals to the ECU for RPM. The only other part is the Rev limiter. (both of those are mounted on top of the engine)

The Black/yellow wire is the "Kill" wire. It's grounds the CDI's in all the coils. (and kills spark)

Good news is, the boat is running great. Bad news is, it didn’t run because I pulled a major boner. Yes there was no spark at one point due to the broken key and the investigation of the elusive spark. What I didn’t mention, because it shouldn’t have been relevant, is during my issues, I installed a new pulse pump that I had laying around that I’ve been meaning to put in just as a preventative maintenance type of thing. That was before I realized there was no spark.

In my hotel room last night I was looking at these posts and other parts of the internet and determined that it’s most likely a fuel issue. So got home today and opened the drain to the fuel/vapor separator and fuel just dribbled out. So took off the fuel line from the pulse pump and ran the key. The pump turned on but no fuel came out. Then after looking at it I got the “oh no, you idiot. You didn’t do that” feeling. In my haste, and to my horror and ultimate relief, I realized that I installed the pulse pump backwards.

Reinstalled it correctly, ran the pump a few cycles to charge the fuel system, and cranked right up. Took it for a ride and ran as good as ever. I did have to disconnect the black and yellow wire on top of the engine for it to run (guardian is still disconnected and awaiting aforementioned parts. But might just leave it disconnected and send them back)

I apologize for wasting the time of those who replied here but the input was definitely helpful and appreciated and led me to the fuel system, which enabled me to zero in on my major F up.

I debated posting this, and I’ll gladly take my lashings, I deserve them, but I owe you guys a response to say thank you for taking the time to help (I understand the 240 EFI systems much better now) and it might help someone who has a massive brain fart and does the same thing I did, although I doubt anyone reaches that level of stupidity.

Now I just need to clean out all the blood, sweat, grease and grime that have been needlessly smeared all over the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back