No start 1996gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Weird,

Could it be possible that the computer takes a few minutes of power before the ski is ready to start?? I have a battery disconnect on this thing and when I engage the battery I hit the start button and it don't turn over. I hear a little ding sound up front by the computer box. So I begin playing with everything on the panel. I push the button for a few minutes about 30 times. Remove the key, install the key. Then all of all sudden the engine turns over and it starts.

My first question is... does the computer need time to power up before starting the engine or should I begin troubleshooting the startup circuit ?

Help is always appreciated !!

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It should be instant. But there is a relay up front that trips when you connect the key. Perhaps it is stuck/sticky and takes a while to trip. Look up the electrical drawings. It is called a holder relay. You can search this site too.

Thanks for the info. I am very familiar with all the electronics on this thing. I spent a good bit of time troubleshooting a while back. I replaced the holder relay with a used one but was not impressed with the readings I got when testing. I cut one open to have a look at how it worked... a very fragile item for sure. The wires are very very tiny and fragile.

I am hearing something pull in when I press the start switch. I hope the relay is working but that will only mean I look someplace else. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you getting beeps when you put the key on the post? It should be instant, if you get no beeps but you know for sure the beeper is working and it isnt beeping when the key goes on the post it will never crank.

My info center is not connected and nothing beeps. The skis starts and runs. I just did a lot of troubleshooting on it. I am thinking it may be the solenoid. It takes a few minutes and lots of tries but once it turns over it starts and immediately starts after shut down. I hear some noises in the front of the ski. That dang little hold out switch could be the culprit but I dunno. I am hoping it is something I understand. Ha ha.

I just purchased a 1997 GTX and I finally got to hear a ski that beeps. :) For the price I paid, I could use the 97 for parts and still make out.

No, I have not done any more troubleshooting. My plan is the start at the rear of the ski and check the solenoid to see if it is getting power. Hopefully it will be something fairly simple. I will post up when I get to checking. :)

Starting my troubleshooting again on this thing. Since I the info center is not connected I have no beeps. I will test the switch operation tomorrow with the DESS key installed. I will test the holder relay then move to the rear of the sky by the starter solenoid. I checked the fuses today and they were all okie dokie unless I am missing something. :)

I had a quick disconnect for my battery, and that was providing a weak link. Depending on how it jostles on the way to the boat ramp, the connection would be good, or not. Diagnose your wires. I use jumper cables to "assist" the existing cables and see if it makes it better. This identifies the weak link. I've had a number of cable ends go bad on me. They'd corrode underneath the sheath and provide a bad contact.

I spent a lot of time on this Jet Ski last year with the electronics. Now I have a "happy start" followed by a "no start". As mentioned a few months back, my info center is disconnected and I don't get any beeps so I can't use that for troubleshooting. The Holder relay is functioning even when I get a "no start" (starter not engaging). I am trying to figure out if the DESS Key is the issue and I plan to do the checks. I have noticed that just prior to the engine turning over, when it does, I get a distinct click from the electronics. Then when I press the start/stop button, the holder relay activates and the engine turns over and starts fine. I am not sure if the problem is "Key related" and will be reading on eliminating that as a root cause. The fuses in the MPEM are good. I am not getting power to the solenoid via the yellow/red wire from the computer. Help is appreciated.

I am looking for a diagram that identifies the wiring on the 96 GTX. I see the older diagrams show the wires, color and what the operate. I am missing the "what they operate" part. :D

Well.... ahem.... of course it started right up today several times. Removing the DESS key and reinstall worked pretty good but at one point it did not work. I installed the DESS Key and it started. So..... I am wondering if it is the computer not always recognizing the DESS Key that is causing the trouble. I will try to explain.

This is what happens just prior to a successful engine start. Install DESS Key and hear a click from the Holder Relay. Then when I push the start button the holder relay clicks again and the starter turns the engine over and it starts. This will repeat as long as I don't remove the DESS Key.

Unsuccessful Start. Install the DESS Key and hear no click or anything from the holder relay initially. Next....Push the start button and the holder relay clicks but nothing happens. "No Start" and engine does not turn over.

Could this be a DESS KEY and Computer communications issue ?? I don't get it.

Most likely the dess post. If your beeper doesn’t work it makes diagnostics harder since you can’t verify the MPEM recognizes the lanyard every time.

. I did test the beeper and it does work. The Info center is toast and not connected which was my choice as I didn't want to burn up anything. Does the beeper need the info center operational in order to work properly ?

I tested the DESS post last year. I will probably go though the process again. I need a pin out sheet on the ski and can't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back