no spark need help want to ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithw08

Hello all,
I am new to the world of PWC and am in a bit of a pickle. I recently purchased a 1996 seadoo xp with the 787 rotax motor. The ski was sunk in the ocean so I got it for real cheap. Now I have mechanical skills so rebuilding the engine and replacing the electrical units was easy but after all was done the ski only turns over with no spark. I have changed the cdi, magneto,pickup but not the ignition coil because it tested out within the resistance range. I have constant power to the coil and the ground is good. I am lost on what to do next and do not want to throw money at it, please help!

Correction I do not have power to the ignition coil white wire
I do have battery voltage to all three yellow wires off the stator/magneto/pickup conection
Is it possible I got a bad pickup it was used, how do I test it
Should I have constant power or a pulse at the ignition coil white wire?

I have not tested one as of yet. But in the automotive world, they produce an A/C pulse. I would assume it is the same with our PWC's.

Do you have the small ground wire from the rear ebox hooked to the neg batt terminal? Not trying to offend you but it can easily be overlooked

Yes the wire coming from the rear ebox is bolted to the block.

I'm thinking my problem lies with the pickup but am not sure how to test it. I have power at all three yellow wires going to the pickup but am not sure what to look for from the others.

you should have .5v AC from the pickup signal wire when cranking i believe. if there is no signal from the pickup coil, there's no signal to fire the spark plugs

I tested each wire off the pickup and did receive around .5v from one wire but then it dropped off not sure if that means its good or not. If so what should I check next? I feel like I'm so close to having this beast out on the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back