No spark - Ignition box issues w/ schematic

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeInCape

I have purchased a 1992 GTX. When I got it I was told the coil was bad, they replaced it, and never got it working. I have some electrical knowhow so i dove in. First nothing. Then I disconnect one of the grounds and it turns over. With more research the new coil has 3 post and not 2 like the one that came out. one - one +. The people hooked the coil up backwards. I rearranged and it turns over fine with all wires hooked up now... Still no spark.

So here is the diagram:
1.gif

I am not getting any voltage on the + going to the coil... Even with the coil unhooked. Think my "brain" got fried from them hooking up backwards?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-MikeInCape

Last edited by a moderator:
no spark

Unplug the black/red wire between the mpem and coil and see if it starts. If it does, you have an issue with a switch or the rev limiter in the mpem. If it doesn't, the stator or coil are the places to look. Also, if it does start with that unplugged, be prepared to kill with the choke since the stop and lanyard buttons are bypassed

from sounds of it, think that coil is wrong for your ski. Post the # on it, and forum will check it out...also, what ski yuo got...gts, gtx and it is 92'?
Alright, either ski, being that year, 92' had the #278000202 coil

Unplug the black/red wire between the mpem and coil and see if it starts. If it does, you have an issue with a switch or the rev limiter in the mpem. If it doesn't, the stator or coil are the places to look. Also, if it does start with that unplugged, be prepared to kill with the choke since the stop and lanyard buttons are bypassed

from sounds of it, think that coil is wrong for your ski. Post the # on it, and forum will check it out...also, what ski yuo got...gts, gtx and it is 92'?

Thanks for the info...

And I had seen your response to someone elses post, and I wondered if you knew the answer to this:

If I unplug my I do not get voltage out of either side (magneto or mpem) while turning over. What would that indicate?

Also, It should not turn over if it is a switch, correct? That would kill the negative to the solonoid correct?

If you unplug the red wire to the coil where would it get its voltage? That would only leave a negative connection on the coil, right?

Oh and it is a GTX. By any chance does anyone have any answers to the questions above? And the more I think about the advice to remove the black/red wire between coil and mpem the will be no voltage to the coil at all... How would the coil work then?

Someone please help me out here... I'll take pictures, change things, check voltages/ohms - just tell me something to try as I am at a loss and think its my mpem. But I do not wont to spend money replacing parts if its not the mpem.

-Mike

hey mike...check to see you got the right coil....match it to the # I posted earlier...wrong coil, will give no spark

Is there any way you can post the entire diagram? This would be very helpful, I have traced several problems with my 92 xp. Can anyone post what voltages/ohms should be coming from what wires on a good electrical system?
Thanx

I have 1.5 ohms when testing the yel and yel/blk wires from the mag, does it need to be replaced? If so who has one?

Is there any way you can post the entire diagram? This would be very helpful, I have traced several problems with my 92 xp. Can anyone post what voltages/ohms should be coming from what wires on a good electrical system?
Thanx

sign up for "prem member" for 10 buks, and you get all the info you want for your ski...:cheers:

yea OK if I paid ten bucks for every bit of info I needed I wouldn't have ten mil in the bank LOL
anyone else feel like sharing?

Some how U missed the sarcasm there.
Have alternating amps coming from mag to coil when cranking, so the pick up should be OK. Cut back plug caps 1/4", unplugged wire from module to coil still no spark. Cranking fully charged with jumpstart! Ohm tested the coil from the two terminals (bolting flanges) 0.5 ohms, no reading on coil tab. Ground is good. Is the coil shot?

I can't get the buzzer to work, how does it work? I put the meter on the buzz lead and see that it is grounded, from both buzzer and ECU, and there is no signal from the ecu when the tether switch is opened or closed. One end of the buzz is connected to the ECU and the other to the temp sensor is this correct, is the temp sensor bad and did it fry the ECU? What the hell is up with my pice of doo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back