No spark, 96 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastadkey

Ok, so I had a 4 page post on my ski, which didn't have spark...im sure i have pissed many people off by having such a long thread, it going dead, me bumping ect http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?48173-96xp-782-cranks-doesn-t-start

So here I go again...

I have a 96 xp 787
Problem is no spark...
-Get two beeps from dess
-152, 150 compression
-Two new ignition coils
-New plugs
-Cut back wires 1/4 "
-Ran direct grounds from Front ebox post straight to negative on battery, same fore rear ebox
-Checked stator, magneto, fine, giving correct voltage, not broken from mount (PITA!!! taking cover off)
-All fuses replaced

Now MPEM is making bussing noise when dess is put on!!!! HELP!!!
I'm thinking a fried MPEM, but don't have one to switch out...

sounds like you checked all the normal issues. You now need either an MPEM or a CDI to verify the system.

I don't have any to swap out...should I go to seadoo and just get diagnostics?? Also in this model are the cdi and mpem separate or one part

Btw thanks very much Dr. Honda for replying I hear ur the best!

The CDI is a separate unit in the 96 XP.

The dealer won't do you any favors. They will replace both if they don't get any errors in the system. AND... that's kind of what you are saying. (no errors in advanced diagnostics) Also... they will charge you labor on top of the full retail on the parts.

I have an extra MPEM and CDI for that ski... but I'm not sure I want to part with them. BUT... you may want to contact Minnitonka. I think for a few $$$ he will loan them to you. And if one or the other fixes the issue... he will sell it for a reasonable price.

Ok...also when I put dess on, it now makes a buzzing noise(not beeper, different than that) coming from the front ebox...would the cdi do that or the mpem? ?
Also now when I go to Start of it turns over once, then sounds like it sparks and starts then immedietly stop all within about a second or les.s..thN it takes a bunch of tries to get it to turn over..

JUst had a brain wave, I was reading other threads...
Could my kill switch somehow be killing spark, no that it wont even turn over sometimes, and i have to wiggle it, to beep sometimes???

Just:cheers: had a brain wave, I was reading other threads...
Could my kill switch somehow be killing spark, no that it wont even turn over sometimes, and i have to wiggle it, to beep sometimes???

I found a local mechanic that does 50.00 an hour...I am going to get him to do diagnostics, then buy the part(s) and replace them myself...
Will reply with results
Thanks everyone for all the help, espcially Loudoo, PPE, Dr honda, SKI Doo, and many others from my other thread...
I really appreciated all the help
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

If there isnt any light when you put a test light on the white wire in the back ebox and ground its likely the CDI box seeing as you already checked the pickup.

Also....make sure the connector on the top of the rear ebox isnt corroded too.

Dont you owe me a coil back? ;)

If there isnt any light when you put a test light on the white wire in the back ebox and ground its likely the CDI box seeing as you already checked the pickup.

Also....make sure the connector on the top of the rear ebox isnt corroded too.

Dont you owe me a coil back? ;)

:blush: I completely forgot about the coil!!!! I promise to send it sometime soon!

Good news (kinda bad)
I GOT IT TO START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:After going through grounds ect, it started, i let it run for about 10 sec, then shut it off, then when i put the dess back on it wouldn't beep, then waited and then it beeped but would only crank about 1 sec, then stop and not start, i think i just got luck when it started....

Also, im still gettin a weird buzzing noise in front ebox and it only will crank on random occasions

I'm thinking its a part that is failing, but still kinda works...sound about right??? I still think im taking it to a mech.

Also, i check EVERY part for corrosion so no worries there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back