No Spark 2004 challenger 250 optimax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverrat2018

I have a 2004 challenger with the merc 250 optimax has no spark I have checked the kill switch it’s not the problem any ideas?
Thanks

Had the same on my 250...easy check to read resistance on the crank sensor...2 wires on starboard side, top of the engine. I think the bad one read 300Ω. I posted the results in a thread somewhere here and what the new one read. Easy access, 2 minutes to check.

Had the same on my 250...easy check to read resistance on the crank sensor...2 wires on starboard side, top of the engine. I think the bad one read 300Ω. I posted the results in a thread somewhere here and what the new one read. Easy access, 2 minutes to check.
how do I go about checking the crank sensor?

Did you verify a clean ground to the CDI's and coils? I've seen a bunch of times where a little corrosion kills the spark. SO... loosen, check, and retighten the grounds.

I would also verify the "Kill" wire coming down from the helm. Since this is the Opti... it's not exactly the same as the others... but I've seen several bad key switches this year. (it may not be going open)

Did you verify a clean ground to the CDI's and coils? I've seen a bunch of times where a little corrosion kills the spark. SO... loosen, check, and retighten the grounds.

I would also verify the "Kill" wire coming down from the helm. Since this is the Opti... it's not exactly the same as the others... but I've seen several bad key switches this year. (it may not be going open)
Yes I have checked the kill wire all the grounds are tight I checked the crank sensor I got a reading of 326 what’s that supposed to read if it’s good.. how do you ck the key switch?

Well... since this is a "Smart" engine... we may have to simply plug into it, and see if the ECU is seeing something wrong. Unfortunately... the cheapest tool is $500. If you have a mercury dealer around, they may be able to scan the ECU for you.

That’s what im thinking it will need scanned.. I checked the battery under no load 12.2 volts under load into the 9s could that be a problem

That’s what im thinking it will need scanned.. I checked the battery under no load 12.2 volts under load into the 9s could that be a problem

Well... that's probably the issue. If it's not staying above 10.6V while cranking... it's not going to fire.

Had the battery checked at my local auto parts store 12.4 volts but only 40% charged..the battery checked out good charging it now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back