No power to starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vcapano

Hello everyone. I purchased a 2001 challenger 2000 with EFI. I got a deal on the boat and couldn’t pass up. Prior to purchase, I knew that the boat needed a starter as The one that was initially in the motor was lost. The prior owner lost the starter when trying to have it repaired. He couldn’t find a new one and winterized the boat as it sat for about 1.5 years. I purchased a new starter but I am not sure if it is the correct one. I hooked it all up but it will not crank over. I have power coming from the battery (new) and slave solenoid (new). With that being said, I am not sure if the starter I purchased Is sopposed to have another motor solenoid in it coming from the slave solenoid. Any help would be great as I can’t find a parts list that is active on this site or a valid link anymore.

Is your battery hooked up for Negative ground? You will toast a lot things if it is wrong.

There are 4 pieces of rubber that you should have gotten with the new starter.
2 are small "reaction cushions" that lower the torque shock when you hit the starter. The other 2 are larger, rings that go top and bottom on the starter. A short 4" wire from the block to the side bolt near the top of the starter. Another heavy wire from solenoid to the bottom side terminal of the starter. This wire should have yellow ends with yellow cover boots. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN on the starter. 2 wrenches work best.
I don't think the "wrong" starter will fit.

Is your solenoid being energized? Helper turns the key. You feel the sol. You should feel a definite thump. Check voltage on starter side of sol. to ground. When helper turns key to START, voltage should read at least 10.5V if the starter engages.

I’ll go over everything mentioned. When you mention negative ground, are you referring to a ground from battery to engine block? I do have that grounded. Not sure of any other areas to ground. The starter did not have the 4 rubber pieces. I ended up making two rubber ones for the collars in the starter. As far as the other two, I didn’t do anything with them as I didn’t know they existed.

I’ll go over everything mentioned. When you mention negative ground, are you referring to a ground from battery to engine block? I do have that grounded. Not sure of any other areas to ground. The starter did not have the 4 rubber pieces. I ended up making two rubber ones for the collars in the starter. As far as the other two, I didn’t do anything with them as I didn’t know they existed.

Negative battery term. to the engine block, at the starter.

You need those reaction bumpers. The starter (very powerful) will damage itself and the block without them. They simply slide into the small slots on the "arm" on the top starter casting. Not sure how you could have mounted the starter without the large rings.
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/27056/5488/20

Regarding the reaction bumper you speak of, I made my own out of a thick rubber pipe coupling. The other two I didn’t do anything with. Hopefully I get to it today And get the starter to engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back