No improvement in top end after new wear ring.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my name is Chris. I’ve owned my 2006 gtx 155, for a few months now. It’s my first jet ski and I’ve been learning and loving every bit of it.

I decided to explore my local river and ended up sucking up and lodging a good size rock in the impeller. Being a few miles up river and nearing sunset, I had to run the ski at 5mph to be able to get back to the launch before dark. I removed the jet and dislodged the rock. Running it in that condition, I knew the wear ring would do its job but need to be replaced. Mother’s Day was a day away and I had made plans with my mom and family to spend the day in the lake, so I figured I’d replace the ring the week after. Riding it Mother’s Day I learned how big of a difference it made that the wear ring needed to be replaced. I also noticed my top speed went from 55 down to 50. I took the jet into my local shop and they replaced the ring and cleaned up the impeller. They told me that the impeller didn’t look that bad. After getting the jet back and putting it all back together I took it out for a test ride and while all the low end is back and better than it had been when I bought it, the top end is still lacking. It’s still topping out at 50.

Could I have messed up something else or possible just not getting all the performance back when they did the repair on the impeller?
(The gap between the impeller and new wear ring is maybe 1/16.)

IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3776.JPG

Last edited:
I think you had problems before the rock if you are only hitting 55 top speed... See attached pic for my GPS run on a 05 GTX 185... 2 passengers and full tank of gas... 61.6 mph top speed... what are your hours and has your SC been rebuilt recently?

Attachments

• 4C2C192A-60B9-411F-9D6F-C2B78073C82E.png
    4C2C192A-60B9-411F-9D6F-C2B78073C82E.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 15
I think you had problems before the rock if you are only hitting 55 top speed... See attached pic for my GPS run on a 05 GTX 185... 2 passengers and full tank of gas... 61.6 mph top speed... what are your hours and has your SC been rebuilt recently?

Correction sorry, It’s not supercharged. Its a 155. It had 63 hours on it when I bought it and now has around 74 hours. It’s darn near immaculate, but the pervious owner did say that he had got a log lodged into the impeller, and paid a shop to remove it and do the full service while it was there. It always ran 55 on the speedo with 2up, now does 50 with just me.

Last edited:
Improved low end performance and reduced top-end speed sounds like a different impeller (with a different pitch) was installed. That or the repairs on the impeller have change the pitch. If your engine RPM is the same as it was with you had greater top speed, it's impeller/wear ring related.

No solution for you but I'll confirm that I was running 55mph on my 2012 GTX155 this past weekend and I weigh around 275lbs.

The shop that did the work, works on all makes of PWC, I couldn’t imagine that they would have swapped my impeller with another one instead of repairing it like they said they were going to do. But ya never know, Maybe I should give hem a call to make sure.

Question, are you using the display on the ski to gauge your speed? I learned real quick on multiple ski's...they are not as accurate as you hope....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back