No crank on starboard motor 98 challenger 1800 w/ 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bena4

PLEASE HELP So i have a 98 challenger 1800 w/ twin 787 and can not get the starboard motor to crank over. We were out tubing for the day and had no problems all day. Last ride before we were going in i went to start the motor and got nothing but a click. got the port side motor to turn over fine no problems. Got home and figured it was a starter problem so i removed it and hooked up a battery jumper pack to it and it spun over fine. lots of power no problem. so next i figured OK starter solenoid. got the updated on from seadoo and re-installed everything and have the same condition. all i hear is a click but the motor doesn't crank over or try to. all the wiring looks good the positive cable gets hot when you crank as well as the starter. i even tried wiggling the wires to see if i could get anything different like if it was a loose connection but same thing just a click. it sounds like the starter drive is kicking out but not sure if the motor is frozen or could the ring gear have missing teeth i'm kind of lost at what to try or do next. thanks for any input. just installed a new neg cable from the starter to the bat and same condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab the PTO and try rolling the engine over by hand. If it doesn't move, then pull the pump and try again.
If the engine rolls over by hand, then rebuild or replace the starter. I don't recommend those cheap ebay starters.

You might have hydro lock... Remove plugs on troubled engine, place towel over holes and try cranking.

Let us know if that works.

Ended up being a broken rave valve getting stuck inside the motor. got lodged between the piston and the side wall

Also check that u get all pieces out of the engine. thesmallest piece of metal down in the bottom end could do more damage.
i had a bolt come loose and slide down thru the carb, past the rotory valve and into the crankcase. siezed the crankshaft from turning and cracked the upper case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back