newbie to site and to jet skis

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

motoring

I picked up a 1996 gti with a 717 engine I bought it knowing it needs work I new seller was having issues
I found one he didn't tell me about . so I know he wasn't honest. upon looking around and removing the carb box I found metal filings . so I know I got problems . but at 700 for ski and trailer I felt id take a chance .
at least I have a trailer if I buy a new ski. didn't want to take motor apart but looks like it has to be done , I did check compression before buying both are at 160 so I felt its a low hour ski all the paint don't have corrosion around matting surfaces . im going to remove oil injection and run it for a bit an keep a close eye in the carbs to see if I find anymore metal filing I think im asking for a lot of luck , at that point part it out or rebuild time will tell , I hope filings came from rotax valve caused by a lack of oil and with me premixing the problem will all go away that would be nice !!!!!
good ski site looks like a good place to share info and parts and stories

I meet to say I bought ski and at 700 felt id take a chance and after I bought the ski I found the metal filings. I certainly would not have bought it if I seen the filings, so I got caught taken a chance but if I part it out I think with a bunch of work id get my 700 back. but time will tell story may end up well

Welcome aboard the best SeaDoo forum. A lot of great info and a friendly group here.

If you have not read up here, the first thing you need to do is check for and replace all the gray Tempo fuel lines. If you have them you need to clean out the entire fuel delivery system. Then clean or rebuild the carb(s). Most of the experts here recommend just changing out the fuel selector rather than risking air leaks by cleaning. Do this stuff before running the ski. Most here recommend using standard fuel line available in 25 foot rolls at your auto parts store.

The oil injection is very reliable, there is a test procedure in the shop manual (ya, that is a must to download). Insure you are using the proper oil, many threads here on various brands; big hint is that the oil be labeled as for PWC, not/NOT outboard. If not sure of the oil in the ski, replace it including draining out the RV gear cavity. My spec sheet says you have the 717/720 engine so mineral oil will work just fine or you can pay more for semi or full-synthetic. It will not hurt to pre-mix the gas/oil to see if things work ok ... you will just create a lot of smoke and probably gunk up some plugs (carry spares ... and, of course a wrench).

If you got old fuel, replace it.

Start a thread in the 2-stroke section so it will get better visibility.

Good luck and have fun.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back