Newbie here! 4 beeps cannot start 2007 Gti- relay???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sek3ch

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I am new to this forum and have a 2007 SeaDoo GTi with 110 hours. Problem is, I may have to insert the key 20 times to get the two beeps to get it started. I hear the four beeps saying" you haven't started your jetski, but don't know if I should be able to hear the relay"click" as I 've heard in other posts..
I try rotating the key, over and over, trying different positions to no avail. PLEASE HELP!!!! Should I be able to hear the relay click in? I have a brand new battery with 12.8v.

I'd advise checking all your connections from the battery to the solenoid (including your engine ground) and testing voltage at the solenoid before doing anything else. Make sure each connection is clean and tight.

Will the engine kick over with the key on the post?

If it's intermittent, then it could be a bad DESS post or bad contact between the key and the post. Might try a light bit of sandpaper on the metal strip inside the key.

There is also a troubleshooting procedure in the Shop Manual to test the DESS post and its connections.

LargeJohn,
Thanks for the path forward- I have already done a few of these steps- the ground and posts on the battery are definitely tight and sandpaper was already accomplished on the old key and the other is bra new. Same result in both.
I will check voltage at the relay today but don't have a shop manual. It looks like Dess posts are pretty cheap, but don't understand why it would go "bad". I hate to say it, but the key system I absolutely despise. Wish they would go to maybe an RFID instead, or offer us another alternative. I'll continue the search. Thanks again for the path forward. I'll give you results later.

If I'm understanding your symptoms correctly, you have an intermittent problem with the DESS post activating correctly when you install the key. Whenever you get it to "activate", your ski will start up correctly.

Most likely the problem will be with the DESS post. There are reed switches inside that can stick or not make good contact internally after many hours/years of service.

Starter relay is also a possibility, but IMO less likely to fail than the DESS.

Like I said before, get a copy of the shop manual and follow the DESS test procedure. Also not a bad idea to remove and reseat the relay to make sure the terminals are making good contact. Also not a bad idea to check the DESS connections while you are testing it. I was having a similar problem with mine and cured it simply by tightening the mounting nut on the DESS.

A good ohmmeter and a good inspection of all connection points should get you on your way.

Great ideas- thank you for your help. I think even before that, I need a repair manual- I simply do not know my way around under the hood. Now in the market for a manual. Oh yes- when I put the key in after I hear the four beeps, I don't hear the relay but I do hear the fuel pump kick in for a few seconds. I interpret that to mean that the key and post are working properly... now I just have to locate the relay!

ok, so does anyone know what the resistance should be in the start relay pick up coil? I'm getting just under 5 ohm resistance. Not convinced this is my problem. .

5 ohms sounds about right. A better test is to measure resistance across the contacts (should be close to 0). Apply 12V across the relay coil and test resistance on the other contact.

Did you download the shop manual (Google is your friend)?

In your original post you mentioned that you could get it to start after ~20 attempts... That makes me suspect the DESS post. There's a good test procedure when you get the manual.

Yeah, I tried downloading this morning but my method of payment was not supported- not sure why but will try again later- now at work. But signed up for premium for the year- worth it, I'm sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back