New to PWC - Need Assist

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPM

Hi guys,

Due to years of epic harassment from the wife... I'll most likely be trading in my beloved 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 2006 towards a PWC. Having a 5 year old daughter and business owner, I get that its probably time to give up my motorcycle youth. Been riding for probably 13 years or so.

Now on to the PWC:

Right now I'm looking at a SeaDoo 2015 GTX 155 S as the best candidate.
I want something that can ride both lakes and perhaps the ocean with as much comfort as possible for 2 adults and a child stuck between us. A smooth ride is more important than a fast one. So basically comfort and smooth ride > all else.

This a good choice? Yamaha seems to have lost out to my opinion once again just like when I bought my Suzukis.

Also, anyone able to comment on their out the door price they paid on one of these suckers? Kelly BB seems to suggest around the $11,000 area. I hate hate hate negotiating for things, be it a mattress or a car. I find it best to have a price in mind and shop around and let the stores say no and compete a bit.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide. Its a whole new sport for me so I need to buy a hitch as well.

The GTX is basically the Caddy,,,

I own a RXT-X 255 and GTX 155. The GTX is like driving a Caddy. Super smooth, very dry ride, all fly by wire, IBR and VTS... You will like the ski.

being the cheap azz that I am, I would be looking for an older GTX 155,,, 3.5 to 4K will get you one with less than 100 hours that's ready to ride, it might be 8-10 yrs old and not as many bells/whistles but 1/3 of the cost.

If your "new" to PWC's I'd hate to see you spend that much and find out 3 months down the line that you don't like riding as much as you thought.

otherwise, the new GTX offers just about all the comfort possible, should be a very smooth ride.
Can't comment on the price, (because i'm too cheap to look at new skis)

Main reason I'm looking at 2014 or 2015 is because I'm potentially trading in my last motorcycle ever and its one of those free passes from the wife :cheers:

We all know how rare those are.... so if I'm actually going to get rid of my bike, darnit, I'm gonna get something nice. She just desperately wants to be rid of it and it results in an argument every time its mentioned. You know: Safety has a price tag for my soul!

Bought mine new in 2011 and paid $10,100 for it. This will give you a reference at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to add in all those other little items your going to need with a new boat purchase.
Life jackets, tow toys, tow ropes, dock lines, Cover, Trailer, trailer lock, trailer spare tire and holder, dock fenders.... Among other things.

2 guys in our ride group have the GTX 155 S. One is a 2012, one was a new 2014. Left over. I have a 2011 GTI 155 LTD without the suspension. Mine feels like a Caddy, their's is a whole level above that. When we are in rougher waters, think chop, I can see the upper portion of those skis move up and down a good 2-3 inches while my big behind is the shock absorber, even with the nice saddle seat on the LTD. Needless to say, they both love 'em.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main reason I'm looking at 2014 or 2015 is because I'm potentially trading in my last motorcycle ever and its one of those free passes from the wife :cheers:

We all know how rare those are.... so if I'm actually going to get rid of my bike, darnit, I'm gonna get something nice. She just desperately wants to be rid of it and it results in an argument every time its mentioned. You know: Safety has a price tag for my soul!

Well then why be lookin at a 155? My wife gave me carte blanche whining for me to sell my scoot...I'd be lookin at a 2014 RXTX 260.

....maybe that's just me?

I have a 01 CBR 929 and its been a garage queen since ive gotten my ski. Being on the water is so much more fun then on 2 wheels. I still cant seem to part with my bike though:facepalm: but I know that day will soon come lol

really?? i cant imagine not liking seadooin. LOL!

I agree, I fell in love with PWC's on day one, and went out pretty much twice a week for the next 3 years, totally addicted, now its about 3x a month max, but I've known a couple of people that just didn't quite get into it, or couldn't break away often enough to justify something that took up half the garage. Wives can be a factor if they don't like it (mine didn't, too hot, too wet, and a little scary riding on the back in 2' of chop, fear of falling off) But fortunately for me my wife always is working either saturday or sunday so I just coordinate my rides around her work schedule so I don't catch crap for going out on the water all day.

To solve the garage space problem I immediately invested in a stand so I could park the ski inside with a much smaller footprint, easy to move out of the way, then left the trailer in the back yard tucked away (that made my wife 90% happier right there)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions on price that I should be aiming for? Somewhere between 11-12k$ is what I'm guessing.

Thanks. I realize there are no changes from 2014 and 2015 model so maybe I can find a 2014 for a bit less.

go to seadoo.com the have they build and customizing pricing to help you decide what your wants and needs are .that way you will be armed with all the info you need when you go see the dealer. the more you know what you want and are talking about while at the dealer the better off you will be at cutting the deal.

I'm pretty set on a GTX 155 S for a model. I've seen ranges from it looks like 11-12k out the door.
Anyone buy a brand new 2014 or 2015 GTX model (any) so I can get more ideas on a price I should be aiming for out the door? Also what kind of warranty did you get?

Thanks.

Update:

So I'm looking at a GTX S 2012. I can't seem to find one change from a 2012 model and a 2015 model aside from color. I just wanted to triple check with you guys to make sure I'm not missing something where I'll be kicking myself later.

Thanks

Update:

So I ended up buying a 2015 GTX 155 this week. Taking the cert class today.
Thanks for all the help people gave me in doing my research. Think I got a great deal on it thus motivating my motorcycle sale. :)

Update:

So I ended up buying a 2015 GTX 155 this week. Taking the cert class today.
Thanks for all the help people gave me in doing my research. Think I got a great deal on it thus motivating my motorcycle sale. :)

You will like the ski. Congrats on the purchase..

First,,, Thank you for taking the class. Much can be learned.

Second, take the ski on the middle of the week and do launch and retrieval practice. You do NOT want to learn during the weekend or while the area is crowded. It will add substantial pressure and it will make it VERY easy for you to make an expensive mistake.

Took whole family it. It ran fine for first lap then wouldn't start again when I went to get wife at dock.

Wasted day at the lake. Seafood fate so far. Going home to check battery etc

Yeah, so I'm home now after a very crappy first attempt at the new machine.

When I originally got it in the water, all was well, started fine, got on, and tested it a little bit in the lake before grabbing the wife at the dock.
When attaching the rope to the dock, I accidentally pulled the key from the machine from stretching too far away (attached to my PFD).

After that, the GTX never responded again. I tried the start button without the key plugged in, with it plugged in, many many times. I checked the battery connection and was tight as can be. There was zero response from the computer dash. I'd assume its a battery problem, but honestly since I bought it Wednesday, I'm bringing it back to the shop to have it thoroughly looked at.

Anyone have any clues what it could be outside of a dead battery? Even if its a dead battery, dammit, its brand new so I at least 1) want a new battery and 2) Want a check up to make sure something isn't draining it to hell and back.

Really sucked to try to get my wife into the new machine and to have it die and paddle it back to the ramp.... even left work early today to give it a test run before the weekend.

LAAAAAAAAME! So much for getting a brand new skidoo to avoid things like this. My motorcycle had zero problems for 10 years.

I should also note that it made no noises when doing this. No buzzing, nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so I'm home now after a very crappy first attempt at the new machine.

When I originally got it in the water, all was well, started fine, got on, and tested it a little bit in the lake before grabbing the wife at the dock.
When attaching the rope to the dock, I accidentally pulled the key from the machine from stretching too far away (attached to my PFD).

After that, the GTX never responded again. I tried the start button without the key plugged in, with it plugged in, many many times. I checked the battery connection and was tight as can be. There was zero response from the computer dash. I'd assume its a battery problem, but honestly since I bought it Wednesday, I'm bringing it back to the shop to have it thoroughly looked at.

Anyone have any clues what it could be outside of a dead battery? Even if its a dead battery, dammit, its brand new so I at least 1) want a new battery and 2) Want a check up to make sure something isn't draining it to hell and back.

Really sucked to try to get my wife into the new machine and to have it die and paddle it back to the ramp.... even left work early today to give it a test run before the weekend.

LAAAAAAAAME! So much for getting a brand new skidoo to avoid things like this. My motorcycle had zero problems for 10 years.

I should also note that it made no noises when doing this. No buzzing, nothing.

It does sounds like a trashed battery and or a charging issue. An easy test is to jump the solenoid. If it cranks, it tells you the battery, cables, connections and starter are good. Easy test to give you a good direction to head..

Eh, it probably won't hurt to just bring it back to the dealership at this point? It literally has 5 minutes of riding use and stopped working. Rather get all these things checked out immediately just for the peace of mind of not having to swim back to the dock.... again.

I literally had to paddle and hop in the water and swim with the GTX in my grasp. No matter if its the battery, cables, solenoid, etc, you'd take it back, right?
I don't really want to jump the solenoid as I'm brand new to PWCs. Give me at least a couple riding days before tinkering like I did with my bike :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back