New to PWC, looking at a 06 RXP 215 with a riva stage 1 kit on it, reliability? tips?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Octane

Hi guys, I'm 100% new to PWC, I've been pondering to get into one and they are kind of expensive as it is, but I've been looking for something that would be fun, for me and my fiance as well as taking her nephews out as well, and it would seem like a PWC can be fun, The thing I'm looking at is a 2006 sea doo RXP 215 with a riva stage 1 kit, The owner I guess says he's put a lot into it, had the engine overhauled, It's got a bit over 100 hours apparently, sware's he meticulously took care of it, but has too many toys and no time for it no longer the past couple years. He says it has 2 keys, 1 will give you the full ability of it and the other one you can program for less experienced riders.

What are somethings to be looking at if I decide to look at buying it? any pointers? any flaws in them? things that leak???? I'm completely green to the water sports, I read the 4 tec 1500cc is supposed to be a good engine? the guy says the aftermarket super charger kit is better and more reliable than factory, which in my experience can very well be true. Thanks! :)

Evidence in writing on when the Super Charger (SC) was rebuilt.

And, mid 06 down to 04 had Sodium filled exhaust valves. These fail and basically drop into the engine and it costs 3 to 4 grand to repair the damage. Again, evidence these have been swapped out with solid core. If you remove the valve cover, stamping number 72 is Sodium Filled, 75 are solid core. You want 75's.

the rxp 215 is an excellent machine but not exactly perfect for 2 up riding especially if you plan on hitting big blue water and not lakes and protected bay's (you have lots of both to choose from)

Pretty much anything over 2' of chop and your going to be getting tossed around pretty roughly and if you have a passenger... oh boy they better hold on.

If you plan on heading out into the ocean and/or regularly riding with passengers, then i'd recommend the RXT, RXTX, GTX models.

With that said, a RXP with a stage 1... its going to be one fun bugger to ride, they pull hard and strong from 0-72ish MPH, carve corners very well, and if you really want to corner like on rails, swap out the stock sponson's and put on some 2012 X Sponsons or one of the aftermarket brands (worx/riva) and hold on. < I wouldn't do that mod if this is your first ski, TBH, its a big difference.

The stage 1 kit, really isn't that big of a deal, really just some bolt on mods, no significant changes to the engine or reduction in reliability, so that's not a concern.

Evidence in writing on when the Super Charger (SC) was rebuilt.

And, mid 06 down to 04 had Sodium filled exhaust valves. These fail and basically drop into the engine and it costs 3 to 4 grand to repair the damage. Again, evidence these have been swapped out with solid core. If you remove the valve cover, stamping number 72 is Sodium Filled, 75 are solid core. You want 75's.

Thanks for the info!, I asked the guy about the supercharger and he said it's a totally new one that came with the kit...? because I asked about them "thrust washers"??? cant remember their exact name if they are the ceramic or not and he said it's no longer a worry...

and the valves eh that sucks! I'd bet its done but If i call the guy again I'll ask him on that, I am a mechanic and have got experience with them smaller engines and valves and all that semi fun stuff lol.

the rxp 215 is an excellent machine but not exactly perfect for 2 up riding especially if you plan on hitting big blue water and not lakes and protected bay's (you have lots of both to choose from)

Pretty much anything over 2' of chop and your going to be getting tossed around pretty roughly and if you have a passenger... oh boy they better hold on.

If you plan on heading out into the ocean and/or regularly riding with passengers, then i'd recommend the RXT, RXTX, GTX models.

With that said, a RXP with a stage 1... its going to be one fun bugger to ride, they pull hard and strong from 0-72ish MPH, carve corners very well, and if you really want to corner like on rails, swap out the stock sponson's and put on some 2012 X Sponsons or one of the aftermarket brands (worx/riva) and hold on. < I wouldn't do that mod if this is your first ski, TBH, its a big difference.

The stage 1 kit, really isn't that big of a deal, really just some bolt on mods, no significant changes to the engine or reduction in reliability, so that's not a concern.

My riding will be 100% lakes, and fresh water at that, some lakes here don't get big swells on a windy day, maybe a foot or so, another bigger lake on a bad storm it formed the biggest ones I ever seen which were about 3 feet, I'd figure that would be fun to jump in a sea doo! haha. I do plan to double my fiance but the lakes arent real huge so distance travelled wont be all that crazy.

and glad to hear on the reliability side of things with the bolt on kit. and Good to know about the "sponson" I'll keep that in mind. it may very well be something for down the road.

Thanks guys for the replies! keep them coming if there's more info to be shed! or stuff to learn. :thumbsup:

I own one and it is an excellent machine very pretty black and gold I have a stage 1 on it it rides excellent quick and nimble

Fun if you want to jump not so fun if you're trying to get somewhere.

Where in BC are you ?

I used to have an 04 RXP so I'm familiar with them if you're in the lower mainland area I can help if needed.

Sorry for a delayed reply, I'm located in the east kootenays. I decided to go with a stand up jet ski, they say they are a ton of fun and it was half the price, I figured a good way to start out anyways and go from there as well as a bit more affordable. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back