New to me - 1995 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougsnash

After dreaming and drooling for a couple of years, I have made the plunge and purchased a 1995 Sea Doo Speedster. The boat is not in too bad of condition for its age and had the drive shafts and pumps overhauled last year (came with receipts for the parts and labor). Additionally, the boat came with a spare set of overhauled pumps (receipts for the overhaul of the spares included too). I am sure purchasing a boat in Canada in February was probably a mistake but it was the deal I was looking for despite not exactly the ideal time of year.

On Sunday I pulled the boat into a heated garage and allowed it to thaw out. There was some ice in the bilge as the boat had been in the rain post winterization. I was able to get most of the ice out and it gave me a chance to look over a few items prior to boating season. I have ordered a few parts that I'll need to dial things in but I do have a couple of questions that I hope more experienced Sea Doo boat owners can advise me on.

First, is there a replacement bilge fan that will easily replace the factory unit? The current fan works but sounds very unhealthy and should be replaced. Second, since the previous owner did not want to drill a hole for the Helix 5 transducer wire when he installed it last summer, he cut the lead off of the speed sensor flush with the sender and used its grommet to run the transducer wire. I want the speedometer to work as a dead gauge on the panel will drive me nuts. Is it possible to replace just the wires to the speed sensor or will I need to replace the entire speed sensor?

I am sure I will encounter many more minor issues as I get this beastie ready for boating season but I am fairly confident I can deal with any issues that come up. I am looking forward to some summer fun.

Doug M
NW Ontario, Canada

Hi Doug, remove the old blower and get the manufacturer name and model from the label on the blower. You may need to drill-out a couple of aluminum rivets that attach the blower to the boat. I purchased my replacement from Amazon.com. They are fairly common, inexpensive, and used on many different boat models. Secondly, search this forum for the service manual for your Speedster and check the electrical diagrams for rewiring the speed sensor to the dash board. Have fun with the new boat!

Kevin
Parrish, FL

Thank you for getting back to me Kevin. The guidance on the bilge fan will be useful.

As for the speed sensor, I suspect I will be ordering a replacement sensor with wire. When he installed the sonar transducer, the previous owner just snipped the speed sensor wire off where it exited the sensor and did not leave enough of a stub to splice a new cable back in. I already downloaded the manual and am finding it very useful.

Doug M

hi doug
speed sensor sender I looking for the wheel that's on the sender unit mine works but missing 1 side
are you willing to sell it ?
manfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back