New ski owner!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenf

I am about to purchase a 98 gsx limited and a 97 xp that have been sitting since 2002. I am a quick learner with engines but because I have no prior experience with these machines I wanted to get some input from the pros.

Because they have been sitting for so long, I was going to rebuild the carbs, change air filter and spark plugs and clean old fuel like I would any engine sitting for this long.
I was curious if there is anything else I should check even after they are running to try and avoid further damage to expensive parts. Also, neither have a key, from my understanding they can run without the key but remain at idle...??? If this is the case, I can work on getting them running before purchasing a key...??? Are there any bearings and such that are easily accessable to re-grease?

No you are gonna need the keys to really do anything. You can at least crank it over by jumping the solenoid.

cleaning the Rave valves, changing the pump oil, and cleaning the fuel selectors are also important.

If you haven't bought these SeaDoos yet hold up. Without going into too much detail, you are likely to have more problems with skiis in storage for 9 years then skiis that have been in use.

How much are you going to pay for these?

Lou

I am paying $1,000.00 for a 98 gsx limited and a 97 xp with a double trailer. They were running fine but left to sit since about 2002.
Cosmetics are great minus some sun fading. Engine looks off the showroom floor. No oil,stains, cobwebs, nothing...
Considering I have seen a 98 limited online going for close to $1000.00 with a blown motor, I'd say im getting a pretty good deal.

What do you guys think?

i think that is a good deal even if they are slight fixer uppers, as long as tittles are clear and all. You could part them out and maybe triple your money, or fix them up and have a good set for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal, you won't get hurt on this deal, worst case you could part out, or sell the xp and have enough left to fix up the gsx.

Lou

I would download a repair manual for the skis, read it and then start the following:

Compression test

Do a complete fuel system overhaul. Fuel lines replaced, selector valve cleaned, fuel baffle pulled and cleaned, fuel filter/water separator cleaned, carbs rebuilt.

Replace oil filter, change oil in oil tank, replace oil lines, bench test oil pump.

Replace the battery, cut the plug wires back and replace the plugs.

A couple hundred dollars and a little elbow grease and you will have some good dependable skis.

Yeah I figured I cant go wrong with buying them. I wasnt aware that either had an oil filter and pump. I thought they were 2 stroke???
Also, Changing the pump oil looks to be a pretty time consuming job. Would you say it is worth doing versus changing the bearings themselves while im in there?

Its not at all...you pull the nozzle off and take the cone off...oil comes out. Clean everything up, put a new OEM oring on the cone, put a little red gasket maker (right next to the locktite), put the cone on, fill with oil, put the plug in the cone and your good to go!

Changing the bearings requires bearing/seal drivers.

Yeah I figured I cant go wrong with buying them. I wasnt aware that either had an oil filter and pump. I thought they were 2 stroke???
Also, Changing the pump oil looks to be a pretty time consuming job. Would you say it is worth doing versus changing the bearings themselves while im in there?

He's talking about the oil injection pump and filter. Both of these skiis are 2-stroke.

Lou

Ok, so without a key, I can use my lawn mower to jump start the ski and bypas the solonoid to turn it over for the compression test, which should be in the range of 145-150?

Would it be bad to get rid of the oil injection pump and just mix the gas? I know several people that have done this to there boat engines. Seems like good insurance for pump failure.

It wouldn't be bad to get rid of the oil injection system, some people prefer it, I don't.

By the very design the oil injection system is very reliable, because there is a constant supply of oil the pump is constantly lubricated. Because the oil injection system delivers oil to where it is needed is also a plus, it also delivers the precise amount of oil where it is needed. If maintained the oil injection will not give you trouble. A properly maintained oil injection system will increase engine life.

If it were my ski I would NOT remove the oil injection system.

Lou

One more quick question before I begin to prep it for running. I have been reading a little on the cooling system of these machines. Just wanted some insight on how it works. I found that there is the water pump impeller. Where is it located? Brief description on the basic opporation of it would be appreciated!
Sorry for all the noob questions, I thought I knew a decent amount about small engines but since I have owned these, I swear I find a new part every 10 minutes that is more important than the other!

One more quick question before I begin to prep it for running. I have been reading a little on the cooling system of these machines. Just wanted some insight on how it works. I found that there is the water pump impeller. Where is it located? Brief description on the basic opporation of it would be appreciated!
Sorry for all the noob questions, I thought I knew a decent amount about small engines but since I have owned these, I swear I find a new part every 10 minutes that is more important than the other!

yeah thats the way it works lol. the pump sucks water thought the intake grate and the does two things: puts the majority of the back out thought the nozzle providing you your thrust to move. however a little bit of water( small in compairison to the water coming out the nozzle) is sent into you motor to cool it and the exhuast. there are much better decriptions of how it works but that is it in a very tiny nutshell lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back