NEW SKI and the DESS key will power up but starter powers OFF the system

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bawray

I just purchased a 98 XP (yeah!). When I went to check out the ski there were issues with wiring that had to be addressed (some corrosion and bad connections) and the trim motor had to be replaced with a different one. I was a little concerned with the electronics because it is a salt water ski. But, the ski did start with no issues and looks to be in good shape overall. Today I went out to start it up for the first time and there is a problem. First of all when I plug the D.E.S.S. key in I don't hear any beeps, however I didn't hear any beeps before I bought it and it was starting fine then. I don't care so much about the beeper not working but I am having a problem with the whole D.E.S.S. system. When I plug in the D.E.S.S. key the system does power up (I can hear something that sounds like a small fan and the trim indicator comes on) however when I press the start/stop button instead of cranking over the ski it powers everything OFF (with the D.E.S.S. key still plugged in) and the systems stays off. If I push the start/stop again (with the D.E.S.S. key still plugged in and the power off) the system will power back UP...when I push the start/stop button again the system powers off again. To summarize, the system recognizes the D.E.S.S. key when I plug it in. But the start/stop button acts like a toggle switch to power the system off and on.

I did try removing the key, waiting, try everything again. I tried removing the D.E.S.S. key again and again and it continues to do the same thing. If I remove the D.E.S.S. key then press the start/stop button the system will power up...but pressing the start/stop again doesn't power off the system...only when I plug the D.E.S.S. key in and press the start/stop button will the system power down. While doing this MANY times the motor DID actually turn over and start on 3 or 4 occasions. I was actually able to start the ski and let it run. When the ski was running I was able to power it off with the start/stop button once and I powered it off by removing the D.E.S.S.key as well. However, 9 out of 10 times the ski would not turn over when I pressed the start/stop button, it would go back to the start/stop button powering the system off instead on turning over the motor.

Something strange is going on. Is it the key? The post? Seems to me like there is some electrical connection problem or module not functioning properly.

Is there something I am missing? This is my first ski with the D.E.S.S. system and I am already hating it.

Sounds like it’s not always recognizing the lanyard and without a working beeper giving you the one or two beeps you aren’t going to know for sure. Also the beeper is your only overheating indicator so first thing to do is replace the beeper.

I have replaced the beeper. The new beeper seems to be working fine. However...the ski is still not always recognizing the lanyard. I replaced the OEM grey fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. Took the ski out today for the first test ride. Started fine. seem to run fine. I went back to the dock to meet my buddy. Turned the ski off. Then the ski would not fire again. It was definitely recognizing when I would put the lanyard on the post but I would get a short beep then a long beep and then 2 short beeps but it would never recognize the lanyard and allow the starter to crank the motor. Dead in the water. Had to paddle back to the dock and go home. Now I can't even flush the salt water out of the ski. When I plug in the lanyard the trim indicator works and I can hear sounds inside the hull so it is definitely sensing a lanyard but I don't get any beeps now and the start button does nothing. Dead in the back yard now. Should I start with an new DESS post? Just send it to get a new key programmed? I really really really wish there was a way to eliminate this whole DESS thing. All it does is keep the owner of the ski from using it!!!

On Thursday I will get a new post from the person I bought the ski from. The "used" post will be off another used ski but I hope it will fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back