New Purchase Winterized Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Cottagers5

I have a question about winterizing and I know there are probably a lot of threads on this. But I purchased last week 2 Sea-Doo’s, a 2003 GTX 4-Tec Supercharged & a 2008 RXT-X 255. I haven’t driven them yet since both were winterized when I bought them. They were winterized by 2 different dealers. I noticed that the GTX has the coolant reservoir drained while the RXT-X doesn’t. Should I be adding coolant to the reservoir before winter is here (has already hit -3C :( ) or is it a different way of wintering? The GTX was bought from a private owner while the RXT-X was purchased from the dealer that winterized it. Maybe I should mention they will be stored outside with tarps.

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Fill the coolant reservoir bottle with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and deionized water. These machines have closed loop cooling systems, much like cars. Winterizing only involves flushing out the exhaust system with RV antifreeze and spraying some fogging oil into the cylinders. You should also remove the batteries and put them on a trickle charger.

Forgot to mention as part of winterizing some folks suggest disconnecting the intercooler hoses and filling it with 100% antifreeze.

Also regular maintenance says to flush out the coolant every 100 hours and fill with fresh antifreeze/water mix. I'm not sure about your models but there should be a hex screw at the back of the cooling plate to allow drainage.

You can always download the manuals from this site, they're well worth it.

Back