New Member, 97 Speedster Timing problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gslewis30

I bought a 97 Speedster last summer. Long story short, Starboard side motor runs great, Port side motor misfires back into the carb. Carbs were professionally cleaned, new fuel, plugs, etc, I even switched the carb and ignition coil from the Starboard side to the Port side and it still misfires. The magnito and rotary valve are aligned as they should be. I checked the timing and it seems as though the PTO mark is 1/4 turn off!!!, (the system fires when the piston is half way back down the jug), not at TDC or anywhere close. I can't adjust the armature plate that far..... What would be causing this incredible timing misalignment? Would a bad magnito be the issue? I'm out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Welcome to the forum Greg. Sorry to hear of your problem. How did you check the timing? I've never done one based on the PTO. I believe the PTO flywheel threads on and if there is a timing mark on it, where it ends would depend on how tight the PTO flywheel would be. Try posting details and any follow ups to this in the 2-stroke boat section if the forum.

Thanks El Toro, I re-posted the thread in that section once I found out how the site worked. I timed the motor as the repair manual explained. The stator coil was aligned back on the marks where I took it off, but those marks might be bad since it backfired before I rebuilt it. I check the timing on the PTO wheel as a reference using marks as the manual suggests. I found out it was firing as the piston was on the way back down the cylinder. The only thing I can think of is the stator coil was in the wrong mounting holes BEFORE I took it apart and rebuilt it. Since its a 2-stroke the timing should be very simple thats why I'm so confused as to why its doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back