New Fuel Gauge but wires don't match? Please Help.................

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I bought 3 second hand gauges for my 2003 Sportster LE 951 carb boat.

The Speedo and Rev Counter wires matched perfect and work a treat however the Fuel gauge wires are different :mad:

My original fuel gauge has 5 wires:
1 x black
1 x pink
1 x light purple
1 x light blue
1 x dark blue

The replacement fuel gauge has 7 wires:
1 x black
1 x pink
1 x pink with black line
1 x dark purple
1 x light blue
2 x dark blue

I have tried connecting:
black to black
pink to pink
light purple to dark purple
light blue to dark blue
dark blue to dark blue

When I switch on the power the needle does not move but the oil light illuminates.

Any ideas/suggestions guys?????

Just noticed that the replacement gauge has 1997 stamped on it.

The original gauges are 2003.

I have 2 wires that I do not know where to connect however, I am not sure if the five wires I connected are correct either.....

Black is ground.
The two pinks are the signal wires coming from the pick up in the fuel tank to give you the level. Try the pink/black with the black ground.
The two blues are from the oil tank low light. If they are connected the light is off and if they are open the light is on. That's what the float switch in the tank does.
Purple is power just like red normally would be.

Thank you Matt,

I am now thinking of trying:

black to black + pink with black line
pink to pink
purple to purple
light blue to light blue
dark blue to both dark blue wires

Or am I missing something?

Then I tried connecting all 7 wires into the 5 wire block like this:
black to black + light blue + pink with black line
pink to pink
light purple to dark purple
dark blue to dark blue
dark blue to dark blue

When I switch on the power on, nothing happened!

I have downloaded the 777 page manual but I could not find any useful wiring information under instruments or wiring diagrams.

Any ideas/suggestions guys?

I can't help with the wiring, but I must say that this is the the most beautifully crafted photo showing the detail's of your question that I've ever seen on this forum.

attachment.php

Just out of curiosity did you replace the float in the fuel baffle/sending unit in the tank? And did you check to see if the fuse inside the fuel baffle is good?

Here's a few threads on it, and I know there are more

This one's just rad because he used an X-ray machine to see the fuse! (and gave you some dimensions and reference points)
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?27032-1999-challenger-1800&p=119131#post119131

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?6138-seadoo-fuel-gauge-repairs-in-one-posting-sticky

Just out of curiosity did you replace the float in the fuel baffle/sending unit in the tank? And did you check to see if the fuse inside the fuel baffle is good?

No because the original 2003 fuel gauge worked perfectly but I needed to change the broken 2003 speedo and rev gauges with the working 1997 gauges then my original 2003 working fuel gauge did not match / look the same as the 1997.......so I am swapping my working 2003 gauge for a working 1997 gauge so all 3 gauges look the same design.......hope that makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back