New 2012 Speedster owner. Need advice and suggestions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pasq

Hello all.

Picked up a 2012 speedster 155 non SC Green version last September. 190 hrs. Its my first jet boat. I need some advice and suggestions. I have searched the internet for most but I noticed a lot of the threads are a little older and the products recommended are no longer available. I was able to take the boat out a few times before winter but it needs some work.

Some of the stuff i need are.

1) Seats are moldy from lack of maintenance. Looking for best non invasive cleaner.
2) Bimini top recommendation. Non tower. Larger the better.
3) Stock speakers are destroyed. Google searches I found suggest speakers that have been discontinued. Just want to replace with decent speakers. Not looking to do amps and subs just some decent sound.
4) Last time I was out on Nov 1st for some reason my low coolant light came on but the coolant wasn't low.
5) Anything else I should check out or do to make the boat better.

Thanks in Advance

I'll take a stab.....

1) Seats are moldy from lack of maintenance. Looking for best non invasive cleaner.
White vinegar is probably the least harmful and will clean it, but for the most part, any of the vinyl cleaners on the market will probably work just fine. Deep mildew staining is hard to get rid of, and most likely only a clorox mixture will bleach it out.
Don't use mine, so I have no recommendation.
3) Stock speakers are destroyed. Google searches I found suggest speakers that have been discontinued. Just want to replace with decent speakers. Not looking to do amps and subs just some decent sound.
I'd do a search for Marine Speakers and find the right size for your budget. Crutchfield is a good source to find options and then go to Amazon to see if the same product is there. Most of the time it's cheaper from another supplier. JL Audio is a good name, as is Polk. I'd probably stay away from Kraco....if you don't get my reference, it's because you are too young.. LOL! Your stock radio is probably around 30watt output, so try not to get a speaker that's rated much more than that. UNDER-driving a speaker makes it sound worse that OVER-driving it.
4) Last time I was out on Nov 1st for some reason my low coolant light came on but the coolant wasn't low.
I'd guess it's probably a dirty/bad sensor. Wouldn't hurt to drain/flush the cooling system and then put in clean coolant. See if the light still comes on. It might take a little while for the sensor to get clean enough to start back working. If it doesn't after a few runs, it's probably bad.
Probably worth doing a general tune up. Change plugs, change oil, change coolant, check battery condition, check all fuses to make sure they are not blown or had possibly overheated in the past, check linkages on jet nozzles and tighten fasteners accordingly, check the trailer tires/bearings, check bunk boards on trailer, wash/wax hull and look for scratches that need to be fixed before they become leaks, put oil/lube on any parts that are suppose to keep moving and tighten screws/bolts where things are NOT supposed to be moving. Might want to take a look in the engine bay next time you have her out on the water to see if you have any obvious leaks that need fixing....carbon ring seals need to be replaced from time to time. Unless you're having cavitation issues, I wouldn't pull the jet pumps just to check the wear rings or impellers.

Couple more thoughts for you...

Speakers, check the overall diameter of the speaker... Remove the speaker and measure the opening in the fiberglass. Make note of this and when looking, as mentioned on Amazon make sure the opening diameter matches to eliminate the need I'm cutting a fiberglass. There are lots of great options on Amazon. No need to go through a seadoo dealer and pay crazy prices.

As for the moldy seats if it's already 'set in' your likely not going to be able to remove it, in my experience anyway. But keeping it clean and dry as possible from this point forward it will definitely stop the spread. Next to replacing the seat covers I don't think removing the mold works very well once it's set in. A good quality Marine cleaner will help. Search the web for other remedies, I have tried 5 or 6 different ideas people had non really worked.

Clean it up real good especially inside all the compartments. Kill any mold inside those compartments and keep them clean and dry as best you can. Make sure any weep holes located in those compartments are not plugged up with debris and can drain. Wax on the outside goes along ways!!

As mentioned plugs and an oil change are a must!!

Good luck and just passing some information on to you based on my experience.

Last edited:
I have tried just about everything, hell for $12 I will give this a try as well. Ordered! I'm up for any suggestions.

Make sure you follow the instructions. I had tried everything from bleach to every mold cleaner on the market and nothing would get rid of the black mold stains. The first time I used this I followed the instructions, which is all about timing, doesn't become active for like 10 minutes after mixing with water and then won't work after like 30 minutes later. I put this stuff on some seats in a small test area that were pretty severe with black dots and I was just hoping it would improve it. It has no smell and has no effect even to the touch so I was skeptical from the beginning. I put it on and waited like 10 minutes and it did nothing so I figured it was another worthless product and failed attempt. Instructions say it may take a few hours which I thought no way on these seats so I left and did other stuff. Basically wrote it off and forgot about it and came back like 6 hours later. I did a double take and the seats looked like new in the test area and had a crisp line of new and old seats where it was applied. Absolutely unbelievable. So I did the rest of the seats and this time kept an eye on them every so often. The stains just fade away and completely disappear with time over a 3-4 hour period.

Have now done probably a couple dozen boats/pwc seats over the last few years. It really only works on mold, not dirt, so I will use the typical cleaners first to clean and then use this.

Last edited:
This is great to know... I willing to give anything a try. Our boat is in excellent condition after all or work, existing mold from lack of care by the previous owner is all that's left but dives us nuts. It's not alot but enough.

I maintain it with Meguiars products either Marine or automotive, I have always like their products. But there are plenty equally good out there.

Last edited:
Picked up some of the mold/mildew remover today. I'll take some before and after pics when I try it out.

My cleaner of choice is super clean/purple power with a scrub brush. However, it is mean stuff so you have to be very careful with it. It can remove the color from vinyl seats, decals, even gel coat. Many times a quick wipe followed immediately by a wet towel is all that is needed.

So the company that makes the mold stain remover, Concrobium, has other products that deal with mold killing. They all work but for removing the black or brown mold stains, the mold stain eraser is superior.

Home - Concrobium

Last edited:
I had this problem once and ended up using bleach, soap and water mix. It worked, I’ve never had to do it again and I certainly don’t recommend doing it because it can make the stitching come off as well as the color of seats. Luckily I didn’t cause much damage

I purchased mine the OEM one from JM camper. They no longer sell it. A few years later I needed a part for the Bimini top that broke and JM camper gave me ANP’s number to call. That’s where JM camper got them from. They make the oem ones. Phone number is (866) 964-7774

I bought these to replace the crappy clarions that came with mine in 2011 and still have them. They were a direct fit. Here is a link https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-M...gateway&sprefix=6.5+alpine+ma&sr=8-3-fkmrnull
I recommend replacing the stock head unit to have Bluetooth and better sound from the speakers. Recommended but not necessary.

Not sure about this one.

Hydro turf is awesome. Search for it and since you are a member of the forum you get a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back