Need Motor Replaced....or get rid of it...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am in need of a place that can replace the motor in my 2003 Seadoo Challenger 1800. The boat got pinned under a dock and water got into the motor and seized it. I really would love to replace the motor and get this back on the water. Is there anyone that could recommend me a place that could do this? Thanks in advance and BTW I am willing to travel to get it to a trustworthy/good place.

OR

Do I just sell this boat as is and purchase a new one....?

What do you guys think?

Chris Weeks

Hi Chris, I have a 2002 Seadoo Challenger 2000, as of this time, it is still running good but here in California, it is very hard to find parts and mechanic that will repair Seadoo jet boat. Sea doo stop making boats since 2012 so parts are obsolete and Mercury engines in Sea Doo boat some parts are discontinued e.g. VST no more brand new parts... Ever since I bought my boat 2nd hand, I change the fuel pump in VST non-OEM parts base here in Glendale CA and do it myself and can't find mechanic that will work on it..., change the port side temp sensor, change the air temp, spark plugs, water filter, change new 2 stroke oil and runs like a champ, hopefully it will more, I know what's coming next maybe my jetpump gear oil needs to be change too, i didn't do it yet.. So to make the story short, If had a choice to buy a new boat, I'll buy the Yamaha jetboat, but since I can't afford one, I'll keep repairing it myself as a youtube mechanics with help with this Sea Doo forum, my boat still runs like a champ at this time hopefully it'll keep on going... If I were you, if you can afford a new one and want a jetboat, Yamaha has several models depending on your needs with peace of mind.... it's your call man...

I'd bail on it and buy a brand that mechanics will support. Hopefully you had insurance. No one will repair these boats. Except Tim and Dr Honda. Thank god for them.

Now if you are a mechanic, this boat is great. Cheap, lots of fun.

Where are you located Chris? I ha e a mechanic who has no problem working on them, but I’m in Canada.
His profile says -> Macon, GA...that's quite a ways away from Canada....could be a nice trip though... hit the Thousand Islands area (my stomping grounds for the summer).....

My budget is such that I have nothing that is new. No shop in this area will touch the boat or engine. Therefore, I had to learn to do everything myself. 25 years as a machinist helps some.

About your engine: what kind of water? How long was it submerged? How high did the water get? Any damage to the hull?

Have you looked at the price of anything new that is comparable? I happened to see a new Yamaha 150 engine on a stand today. Tag was $12000 before installation.

I believe your engine has a real alternator, and the updated electric oil pump. Both desirable. If you went under saltwater,one of the biggest concerns is electrical part damage from electrolysis. Of course, depending how high the water rose. Have you tried a wrench on the crank nut to turn it after removing spark plugs?

This post ^^^ is a fair point. Motors like to run. If the water wasn't standing in the cylinders for a long time it may still run. doesn't hurt to manually spin the crank and see what kind of resistance you get.

My budget is such that I have nothing that is new. No shop in this area will touch the boat or engine. Therefore, I had to learn to do everything myself. 25 years as a machinist helps some.

About your engine: what kind of water? How long was it submerged? How high did the water get? Any damage to the hull?

Have you looked at the price of anything new that is comparable? I happened to see a new Yamaha 150 engine on a stand today. Tag was $12000 before installation.

I believe your engine has a real alternator, and the updated electric oil pump. Both desirable. If you went under saltwater,one of the biggest concerns is electrical part damage from electrolysis. Of course, depending how high the water rose. Have you tried a wrench on the crank nut to turn it after removing spark plugs?

Here are the answers....

It was fresh water, we are not sure, b/c we went down to the dock and to our surprise it was partially sunk, I guessing it came in through the intake, no damage to the hull at all...

We did wrench the crank with the spark plugs out and I did get it to turn, but with high resistance. water did come out of the cylinders through the spark plugs before turning it...

I'm guessing it needs a motor, but no one around here wants to look at it much less work on it...

Would you be willing to check it out or know of someone?

it is a 2009 so it does have the alternator, I have seen it.

I had the same thing happen to me, but was only partially submerged for about 1 day, followed the instructions in the manual, remove plugs, hand crank to try to get most of the water out, Add alcohol and hand crank again to evaporate the remaining water, add oil, hand crank again to coat everything, replaced plugs with new, and it started right up.

2009?????
Merc and Seadoo had parted ways about 2005. Would you recheck the year?

At this point, what do you have to lose by putting some sweat equity into the boat?
What is the condition of your upholstery? That, by itself is high value.

Hello Chris,

I recently purchased a re-manufactured engine for Marine Parts Warehouse, www.obparts.com.
They shipped it the same day I ordered it and received it fast any very well packaged.

The price was fair and their core charge was low.

I have not fired mine up yet but based on what I can see it appears they did a good job on it.

Just another option.

Mike

I'm still interested in getting this boat fixed... anyone know of a place that I can take it? My local Seadoo place looks all crosseyed when I take it to them.... Help a brother out...

2009?????
Merc and Seadoo had parted ways about 2005. Would you recheck the year?

At this point, what do you have to lose by putting some sweat equity into the boat?
What is the condition of your upholstery? That, by itself is high value.
Im sorry im pretty sure its a 2002 model.

I'm still interested in getting this boat fixed... anyone know of a place that I can take it? My local Seadoo place looks all crosseyed when I take it to them.... Help a brother out...
In Milledgeville on lake Sinclair you could call around the marinas who fix boats on the lake or even the boat doctor on the lake

Chris, If your engine is seized then it's seized. Here's my 2 cents. . . Pull the spark plugs and shoot a fair amount of 2 cycle oil in each. Then turn the the key to crank it over a few times. Did it crank over? If so, put a set of spark plugs in it and take it to the boat ramp. Start it up. It will be hard to start because of all of the oil you shot in there. When it starts up then run it for a while.

My islandia became hydro-locked and when pulling the top spark plugs water poured out. OMG! I was sick to my stomach. We pulled all of the spark plugs, cranked it over until no more water came out, filled the cylinders with oil and cranked it over again a few times, filled the cylinders with oil again, put the spark plugs back in it and let it sit overnight (but only because it was now dark outside). The next morning we took it to the lake, started it up and after about 5 minutes she started up and we ran her all day to evaporate all of the residual water that could be hiding inside. WATER left in there is your enemy. Becoming Hydro-locked is actually something that happens quite common. People just get freaked out and WAIT to have it fixed. . . But what do you have to lose? Your Challenger is a great boat and the SportJet engines are workhorses. Just give it a go!

Chris, If your engine is seized then it's seized. Here's my 2 cents. . . Pull the spark plugs and shoot a fair amount of 2 cycle oil in each. Then turn the the key to crank it over a few times. Did it crank over? If so, put a set of spark plugs in it and take it to the boat ramp. Start it up. It will be hard to start because of all of the oil you shot in there. When it starts up then run it for a while.

My islandia became hydro-locked and when pulling the top spark plugs water poured out. OMG! I was sick to my stomach. We pulled all of the spark plugs, cranked it over until no more water came out, filled the cylinders with oil and cranked it over again a few times, filled the cylinders with oil again, put the spark plugs back in it and let it sit overnight (but only because it was now dark outside). The next morning we took it to the lake, started it up and after about 5 minutes she started up and we ran her all day to evaporate all of the residual water that could be hiding inside. WATER left in there is your enemy. Becoming Hydro-locked is actually something that happens quite common. People just get freaked out and WAIT to have it fixed. . . But what do you have to lose? Your Challenger is a great boat and the SportJet engines are workhorses. Just give it a go!

This is right on point. Happens to jet skis all the time. 2 strokes are really easy to clear the waterThat motor will most likely fire right up after 1hr of your time following what September said above. I bought 2 jet skis 3 yrs ago with the cyclinders filled to the top with water and sitting all winter. Got them so cheap I figure I put the time in, and they were valued at about 9k. They were both running in about an hr. Just don’t crank it over with water in the cylinders. Usually it won’t crank anyway since it’s hydrolocked. Starter will just engage and not move a thing, battery will die quick. That’s what you want when it’s hydrolocked then the simple procedure above will get her going again

How did your Islandia become hydro-locked in the first place? This is common? How does this happen? Yikes....makes me nervous.

Mine is a 2004. We aren’t completely sure. The kids were backing up to the rear of the boat on the Seadoo RXPs to pick up and drop off riders. We “think” that several times of doing this forced water into the exhaust and eventually into the engine. After this it wouldn’t not start (symptoms of hydro lock. Then we were towed back to our dock a little faster than we should have been and that could have also caused water to swirl around the back side and into the exhaust etc. It’s sickening to find but it doesn’t have to be a trashed engine. Our only damage was a broken reed valve (from trying to start it too many times causing extreme pressure. But we ran it for a season with the reed valve broken.

How did your Islandia become hydro-locked in the first place? This is common? How does this happen? Yikes....makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back