Need Help with new purchase -

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

fishergal

I'm am looking for a first time seadoo. It will be for a few adults and my nieces and nephews(age 11-18). Max weight of rider would be 250 lbs. It would only be used a few times a year (a week on vacation and a few weekends a year). I know I don't want to spend a ton on one, but I want to make sure I get one that provides the fun we are looking for. Below I have a list of what is at a dealer nearby with prices. The price range is $4,999-$7,899. I know trailers, fees and registration increases all of these by at least fifteen hundred. I'm thinking a 3UP is best for having the younger kids and maybe pull a small tube or kneeboarder (if they are able to). Is the convenience package or iBR necessary? Would I be a lot happier to have those or it just is more convenient and I can do with the lower price? Also, how much can you deal with the prices? Lower by $500/$1000 or no wiggle room with these? Thanks for your opinions!

Year Model Engine Extras Price
2015 Spark 2 UP 900 ACE $4,999
2015 Spark 2 UP 900 Rotax ACE Conv Pkg $5,199
2015 Spark 2 UP 900 H.O. ACE $5,799
2015 Spark 2 UP 900 H.O. ACE Conv Pkg $5,999
2015 Spark 3 UP 900 H.O. ACE $6,399
2015 Spark 3 UP 900 H.O. ACE Conv Pkg $6,599
2015 Spark 2 UP 900 H.O.ACE iBR $6,499
2015 Spark 3 UP 900 H.O.ACE iBr $7,099
2015 Spark 3 UP 900 H.O.ACE iBR + Conv Pkg 7,299
2015 GTS 130 $7,899

Ok,,, this could get very long and convoluted, but I will keep it brief.

First, the Spark is a great machine for the price. The intention behind the ski was for Seadoo to offer an affordable entry in the PWC world but still be a decent ski. They did this very well in my opinion.
The 2 up and the 3 up are exactly the same ski. The 3 up has a different seat and a hull extension. The extension does add a bit more stability as well as general flotation, (both important factors when having 3 on the ski). The Spark is over-all smaller then all the modern day 4-tec skis out there.

The fact that you will have kids on the ski means that they can NOT legally drive the ski without another rider. As you add bodies to the Spark, it is more challenging to keep it stable while people are boarding and initial taking off from a stand still.

If you go with a Spark, I would get the 3-up with the IBR and NOT the HO engine as you can buy the Tune after the fact for much less (you can buy it from this site).

I ride with a guy that has a 2013 GTS 130 and I am impressed with how well it runs. It will be MUCH MORE stable than any Spark as it is considerably larger than the Spark. If you can afford it, I STRONGLY recommend that you get the IBR no matter what ski you buy. It adds a ton of safety and it almost natural to use. My point is, even a kid understands the brake and how to use it with minimal education. It is also better for the ski and it will start in Neutral instead of starting and instantly wanting to move forward. This alone will save MANY dock crashing and dock rash incidents.

I own two skis, GTX 155 with all the goodies and a RXT-X 255 with manual reverse. I will NEVER own a ski that does not have the IBR and or manual reverse. I use the manual reverse as a brake all the time.

I hope I helped and not made the waters cloudy for you. Anything in particular, please ask...

And you basically did post in the right area. There is a separate SPARK forum but the info you are asking will be found here just as well.

I've read a lot on here about buying the Tune to increase the engine. Is that something that a shop would do, or would I have to do that myself? And if you did this you would void the warranty, correct, so it is something to look into after the warranty is up? Looking at the GTS 130, when you add the iBR to it, it jumps out of my price range. I really appreciate that information. It just gives me more to think on!

[MENTION=2]hfgreg[/MENTION]. Can you provide the info on the Tune for the Spark. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't buy the 3 up without the HO. Just the way it is.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ok, looking at two different dealers who have the 3up with iBR and the GTS130 that has a brake and reverse it seems to be about $1500 or less between the final prices with trailers. The GTS130 dealer has an $800 triton while the other has the Seadoo I for 950 not including the tax or docking fee of $99 for either. With what I read on here and online it seems the $1500 difference is probably worth it with the fiberglass hull, the more power and just larger machine? Would you all agree? I know money is up to the person spending it, but I wonder if anyone would say, save the $1500 and you'll be fine with the spark. Or if I have the $1500, definitely go to the GTS. Again, appreciate the feedback.

The Spark is great for what it is, but it will not be the best for two adults and or three of anything. Officialy, yes it is a 3 person ski and will do the job. But it will come with struggles for the simple fact of its physical size. If it were up to me based on the option you have listed. I would spend the extra money on the GTS with the brake and reverse. But,,, you may want to look for a late model used ski. You can buy a lot of ski for 7 grand.

Albeit I have had a short seat time on a Spark, me weighing 230 and my wife not even 1/2 my size, I think we could easily ride 2 up on a Spark. I thought it was very stable. My son and I were on it and he was about 75# at the time.In 2014 the 3 up was advertised as 1 adult and 2 children. I was trying to find that info, but I remember saying to myself, boy, that's a way to get a family of 4 into 2 skis, you can't leave one on the dock.

Well honestly, if $1500 is the difference I would go with a GTS. I bought my spark for $6653 out the door including move 2 trailer, taxes, dealer fees, everything. Thats for a 2 up base model no addons, and a trailer.

Thats because im cheap (just like my name). When I was shopping for pwc's all the ones I saw were higher than $8999... so thats why I made that choice.

Later on, when I had more money I bought the Vtech Tune to make it 109 hp. Also, for $310 in parts I can get the 3 up extension on the back..

What Im trying to say is that I saved a lot of money "initially" with my initial purchase. So my payment on my Spark is less than my cell bill. Now I can easily add manual reverse for $299, and everything else at my own convenience.

** plus i like working on projects on my boat and spark, I love twinkling and adding stuff to my toys, like vtech tunes, 3 up extension, manual reverse, convenience package, etc ***

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wrong about the ski model. It was a 2014 GTI 130. But I think this is what I am going to go with. It is $9,736 out the door w/o trailer. I haven't agreed on it yet, and I haven't been to the dealer yet, but we've been talking by phone. Do you think I can negotiate on the trailer, he said $800 with $121 in docking fee and taxes? Can I get him to throw in a cover? Is there anything else I should ask for? Thanks for the help.

When I bought mine I got a pretty good deal. Drove 600 miles for them. I couldn't even get a free PFD. Had to pay for ANYTHING extra such as the covers The trailer was invoiced separately as a local builder provided them to the dealer. Paid $9999.00 for my new untitled 2009 RXT-X and $10,500 for my new untitled 2010 GTX. Bought them both in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a new (never sold) 2014, I'd make him earn my business. That's old inventory and if it is still sitting there, his primary market area must be saturated. Start a deal on a similar but newer ski at another dealer and be sure he is aware that you have options.

Back