Need help, please... Not getting spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Msincav273

2000 Sportster LE 951 Carb engine

Not getting spark

Trigger is coil within range...
Two Beeps when Key is on post
Cranks Strong
No power to primary side of coils. Should this be constant 12vdc as with collapsing coil?
No short in wires to primary side, Good ground in rear electrical box.
All fuses on MPEM and one in rear box checked
12.9vdc at battery and mpem

Trying to avoid trip to dealer for diagnostic 2 hours of labor...

Thanks

You'll want to do a load test on the battery as they can have enough to crank, but the ignition wont activate if the volts are too low when cranking.

Once that is verified, then put a test light between each white wire connected to each coil and then to ground and crank. If you get a light its the coils.

If it doesnt flash, then you will want to do a voltage test on the trigger. Typically the triggers after 97 never break, but if some water got in there and corrosion happened...it could have broke off. That means they will ohm out fine, but arent seeing the magnets. I made a harness so I dont have to poke into the wires which is a huge no no on watercraft.

Now...at that point I would prob open up the mag housing b/c the Bendix are known to come apart (little 1/4" by 1/4" square things from inside the bendix) and F up everything in there. Seriously...dang near every 951 Ive parted down those things have popped out and either get inside the mag cup and grind everything up...or at the very least they are stuck to the outside of the mag cup.

If you have a friend with a 99+ carbed 951 MPEM I would swap it and see what happens...If def sold a few MPEMs to people with the same issues and it was the MPEM. I do have one in stock, if you wanted to pay for it and return it if it doesnt fix the problem I'd do it for a $25 "restocking" fee.

I see you own a 98 GSXL....that MPEM does NOT swap. Only 99+.

Thanks Minnetonka4me

I checked most everything I can think of. I will check test light on white primary wires. I just rebuilt engine, so everything is clean in mag housing. If you think of anything else, let me know... ALso if you have a MPEM for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back