Need direction on where to start now...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdstaat

Hello, So I just bought a pair of Seadoo's in June, my first. I'm a car guy in general (VW and Dodge/diesel) so mechanical work is not intimidating to me, especially after working on a VW made after the year 2000. However I am new to carburetors and 2 stroke motors, but find them fascinating to learn about!

My 97 Seadoo GSi (720cc motor) I had just rebuilt the carb (3x), swapped out the grey fuel lines for black auto fuel lines, pressure tested the fuel tank, pop-off pressure in the carb and pressure in the fuel accelerator pump, everything checks out great, holds pressure. I fixed a nagging 'bogging' issue,(Give it any throttle and would surge forward for a second then cut out or barely idle) after finding that one of my ignition coil wires(the retaining clip was snapped off) had vibrated loose. I put it in the water and finally it ran great for the 1st time, and the night before were supposed to leave to go camping. Adjusted/read new spark plugs for as clean/efficient as possible running at least, only slight carbon build up on brand new plugs.

Two days later on our camping trip, after an hour or two out on the lake, running at a max RPM of 6200, and half a tank of gas later, the max RPM's that the Ski will reach is slowly drifting downward by about 50-100 rpm's per minute at WOT, running until it seemed to level off around 3600-3800. Tried letting the ski sit for a while, and run again, and wont get up past 4000 RPM without dropping back down to about 3700 RPM's. I re-checked the coils and they are staying connected, fuel pressure/carb working fine from what I can tell. I'm stumped as to what this what point to/where to start troubleshooting and my wife refuses to go out on them anymore as she's tired of getting towed in by our local Sherriff, who now knows us on a first name basis, depressing. Any ideas?

Eh, Sherriff pulls up and tosses her a line, and pulls her about 2 mph into shore, gives me an icy stare and then we all have a very quiet drive home! Lol

must be small town USA :)

here you don't get a tow in from anyone unless they think there is something in it for them.

Damn I've gotten towed in plenty of times, nobody will take your money tho. Midwestern hospitality I guess, I never charge or look for anything when I tow someone, cuz I know for sure ill need one eventually

Kind of, only about 30 min. from Portland, Oregon. just about everybody here is more than willing to lend a hand out on the water. That seems harsh though, shows I've never really left the Pac. northwest. I see you're PA, enjoy your Chip Kelly era(Ph. Eagles) I saw him play many times at Autzen, and his teams are ELECTRIFYING to see, depressed to see him leave!
Thanks for your suggestions folks, I'll check the fuel lines/filters again, thinking back, it may not had been the greatest idea to cut them using a fine blade hack saw (kids left my cutting pliers out in the back yard)
If any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
-Tyler

I tow anyone, anywhere they need. I hope that the same happens for me if I need it or especially my kid. Any more, the Jet ski thing is a team effort for us.

That issue sure sounds like it might be leaning out on the OP. That needs to be addressed soon. I also seem to remember a pressure issue causing similar behavior. Like the tank wasn't venting properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back