Nauticus smart tabs for 98 Speedster yes/no?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkkoeb

So I have a 98 speedster and was considering adding a set of smart tabs to help the boat plain out faster. Looking for any recommendations on this brand or any other brand. Do they really improve the ride quality and are they worth the money? Are they hard to install?

Thanks

To2d is the person who wrote the specific thread I am thinking of. I’m also about to do the nauticus on my speedster SK

I just bought a pair of the stainless version because it will fit the transom better than the plastic. I am only going to use one in the middle of the transom. if you are interested, I can sell you the other.

I just bought a pair of the stainless version because it will fit the transom better than the plastic. I am only going to use one in the middle of the transom. if you are interested, I can sell you the other.
If he decides against it, I’ll buy the other. Just let me know.

I ordered it today so it will be next week before I get the chance to install and try out. OP has the first crack at it because that is the right thing to do. If he opts out, you have first option. after that it is up for grabs.

I ordered it today so it will be next week before I get the chance to install and try out. OP has the first crack at it because that is the right thing to do. If he opts out, you have first option. after that it is up for grabs.
Fine with me. Just let me know

So I have a 98 speedster and was considering adding a set of smart tabs to help the boat plain out faster.

Thanks

Just so you know, these things should jump right on plane without a tab. If you're not on plane in literally a few seconds something is wrong in the pumps, like the wear rings or impellers or both. Now, if you're loaded with 5 people it will take a little longer but still not bad. If it revs up to 7k and you're barely moving you need to look at the pumps.

Here is what I did on my 99 speedster SK. Let me know if you have any questions.

It’s all laid out in this thread...
Trim tab project 99 speedster SK

your thread and one other just like it is what prompted me to buy the product in the first place. I am hoping that since the stainless version has a much shorter hinge(in height), I can make a couple notches in the hinge and not move the drain plug or the zinc. I assume you have a 14' boat?

as to racerxxx's comment above, my boat probably only has about 50 hours or so on it in total. the impellers are nick free and I feeler gaged the both housings. they seem to be perfectly in spec. if there is something wrong with my drive units, I can't possibly imagine what it could be. my issue is that between 3-4500rpm the boat will just sit there and wallow around with its nose in the air. (in a way, it almost seems like the pumps cavitate) if I hammer it to 7k, it will indeed hop right out of the water. however, if I back it off to the range I mentioned above, it will lose plane and go back to flopping around like a fish out of water. since there are so many threads here about this subject already, I can't imagine I am the only one with this issue.

Last edited:
To2D - I see you had to cover up your drain hole and create a new one. What size hole saw did you have to use for the new drain hole?

To2D - I see you had to cover up your drain hole and create a new one. What size hole saw did you have to use for the new drain hole?

I don’t remember the size but I know the hole needs to be the same size as the old hole “sorry but you’ll have the measure it”

The drain plug screws into the drain plug housing “292000187” and not the hole so keep that in mind.

I also replaced the drain plug housing gasket “293250030” and screws “205042560” just for fun.

Before you do any of this...mount the trim tab base and fill the old (now covered) hole from the inside with marine grade RTV and let it fully dry. Then create the new hole with a hole saw and it will cut into the dried silicone RTV. This will make it stronger when you cut it.

OP ordered a single tab. Let me know when you have your kit of two and I’ll buy the other. Hit me up. Paypal ready.

So my trim tab came yesterday and I installed it. Pretty easy to do. We took the boat out for a ride today and yes it made a big difference in the how fast the boat got up to plain and also when you let off the gas I notice the back of the boat didn't drop down nearly as much as it use to. Well worth the money

By a nitrogen filled shock, they are self-regulating, just get the right lb. The faster you go, the harder the water pushes the vane parallel to the boat bottom. Go slower and the vane slants down giving your rear some lift. Mine should be here Friday.

Thank you. Do these cause a loss on the top end speed also? Is it like the impeller where you have a trade off or can it be set to help with both out of the hole as well as top speed?

Not sure, some say it improves it. I rarely run at W.O.T. anyways. I just want to stop the constant porpoising at normal speeds.

Awesome. Curious to see if the stainless ones allow it to be installed without moving the drain plug, speedo and zinc plate but this is definitely intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back