My review of the new 2018 Spark Trixx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

beergut

Well, I'm done pouring endless money into keeping my (now blown after 90 hours) 2011 RXT-IS 260 running, so I decided to go out and buy a new Trixx since I spent most of my time trying to do tricks on my RXT anyway-

So, here's a couple of pro's and con's off the top after 1 hour of riding (I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't on my supercharged 260) I only fell off it 3x within the first 20 minutes (sharp learning curve )

The con's:
The Handlebar Riser mechanism is a real pain in the ass. I can't believe this design passed their R&D dept- I literally lost skin using it. I see lots of other people complaining about this also so I would expect Seadoo to address this in future models.
Next, the amount of vibration in the machine from the engine running... when you start it up all you can hear is plastic panels vibrating and when you give it gas the vibrating panels are louder than the engine! maybe I'm just used to my previous rxt models that didn't rattle like a 1988 T-top camaro down a cobblestone highway, but the rattling plastic didn't give me a warm fuzzy confidence in build quality. Next... the seat- not that you spend much time on it, but it could be softer with maybe another 1/2" of padding which will make some of that lake chop a lot more tolerable to handle- it's really brutal over 30 mph to handle on a lake mid-afternoon. Next, I hate having to remove the seat every time I want to put gas in it- this is extremely inconvenient IMO and I was excited when the newer sea-doo models put the gas fill horizontally on the front left side of the hull. Ohh, and forget about removing the battery in the winter, it's pretty much impossible without pulling the whole top of the ski apart! Next, they put rubber at the rear foot rest, but left the rest of the tub where your feet go with nothing- just hard plastic. I found my feet sliding all over the place- and sometimes really slamming the sides with my feet hurt a bit. I'll definately be gluing some turf mat in the foot wells! As far as the 90 horsepower goes, it actually has quite a bit of pop at the bottom end, but really not much at the top end; full throttle at 35 mph was quite flat up to the 47-50mph top end (but keep in mind I'm used to the 260 which hit 70 in about 4 seconds!) It did get me up to 50 mph but it was pretty uncomfortable at that speed. But, I didn't buy it for Speed, I bought it for slow riding tricks... And that brings me into the
Pro category... this thing is so Nimble and Light that you can literally throw it all over the water. It really is like a dirt bike on the water. A couple tricks had me laughing out loud, my wife could actually hear me in the house! I had a smile on my face the entire hour I was on it and only stopped because I couldn't hold on any longer! within 15 minutes I had forgotten all about the rattles, uncomfortable seat and lousy handlebars- I was having a blast! as always, the iBR is to PWC what power steering did to the atv industry- I can't live without power steering on my can-am outlander 1000 AND I simply cant live without the iBR on my ski. The extra angle on the VTS is also amazing- the ski jumps right up into a wheelie! I've ridden stand-up and the old 2-stroke ski's- grew up on them, and I've never had more fun in 100 square feet of water than I did on the trixx. i'm literally calling in sick tomorrow so I can ride! :p kudo's to sea-doo for tapping into this genre of water sports- I feel the trixx is in it's infancy, if they just focus on some of the comforts & quality of the trixx, these things will sell faster than they can build'em!

Attachments

• trixx 1.jpg
    trixx 1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 31
  • trixx 2.jpg
    trixx 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 32
It's a blast. I didn't buy a TRIXX I bought the regular spark and added the extended VTS as I also don't like the handlebars or feel the need for them (it would have been $600 to add them to mine no thanks). the rest your are spot on with, but you have to remember how the price compares to everything else out there. I think the rattle is probably due to the plastic hull so there isn't much deadening ability there. The seat doesn't both me but I didn't come from a big comfy machine and I rarely sit anyway its a trick machine glad you had fun I figured you would after reading your other post on the 4tec portion

yeah- that handlebar setup had me scratching my head. the seat thing is minor- like you said, you don't spend much time on your ass with the trixx! lol
I'm wondering if I can get some kind of foam to put in the open areas or drill a small 1/4" hole and foam it up then hot glue the hole. the rattling annoys me- I was spoiled with the big rig and the plush seating! :D

I don't really hear a rattle off idle, I hear a rattle at idle which sounds like it comes from the pump area, not sure exactly what it is but its wicked loud and nasty sounding when it's out of the water.

Great review! Thanks for sharing. There are a ton of small modifications that make a world of difference for this ski. The hydro turf mats for instance, small upgrade but well worth the $!

You might look into a JetTrim seat cover as they add a layer of foam to the underside of theirs. And absolutely yes on the HydroTurf and hfgreg can hook you up!

I wear a pair of sea doo high top water shoes, they protect the ankle bone from banging into the ski and I have no issue with the foot surfacing with them they grip well. I also wear a pair of neoprene socks to keep from the sand irritating my feet. They were about $70 but worth it to me.

I wear a pair of sea doo high top water shoes, they protect the ankle bone from banging into the ski and I have no issue with the foot surfacing with them they grip well. I also wear a pair of neoprene socks to keep from the sand irritating my feet. They were about $70 but worth it to me.
Slippery has some nice ones that come with the neoprene socks and can be worn with or without. I just tried a new pair this weekend and they were great after my last ones have been holding strong every year since 1998.

Oh and you don't have to pull the top do remove the battery it looks worse than it is. You can also change the oil and filter without removing the top. I haven't done it yet but removing the top isn't very difficult either apparently.

Oh and you don't have to pull the top do remove the battery it looks worse than it is. You can also change the oil and filter without removing the top. I haven't done it yet but removing the top isn't very difficult either apparently.

that's good to know because when the dealer showed me where the battery was buried, I got very depressed!

Back